Halfords plastic grey primer - CV-19 supply while retail closed

Rate this topic

Noel

You must be a mind reader-  l have been struggling with this over the last while as my trusty Halfords Grey Primer ran out just at the end of March.

I did source this Tygris version from Roscommon (who delivered next day to be fair to them) but the quality is not even close.

I would be delighted to try this place to see & will send them a message.

20200507_124846.jpg

Hi @Rob 

Just luck I guess. FYI, I've ordered some Hycote XUK612 Grey Plastic Primer Spray from Amazon to try out. Don't know obviously if its the same chemical as Halfords, but both are made by James Briggs & Co. Amazon won't ship aerosol cans to here, so anybody ordering would need to use Anpost address pal  to get around the delivery restrictions, but not parcel motel because they are NI based, whereas address Pal's collection depot on on the island of GB. I use address pal all the time to get paints from the UK. Bonkers referring to small  model paints as HAZCHEM. Will let you know how I get on with Hycote when it arrives.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hycote-XUK612-Plastic-Primer-Spray/dp/B07R1XG3CC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Hycote+plastic+primer&qid=1588853684&sr=8-4

• Thanks 2

I use Hycote plastic primer as my usual spray primer as its stocked at my local car shop. Its much cheaper than Halfords and in my opion just as good. But make sure its the plastic primer as they do a metal one as well that looks similar.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried Hycote Plastic Primer on some fencing as recommended by @scahalane given the difficulty in getting the trusty Halfords equivalent, which is all l ever used.

Seems to be decent quality and does the job from what l see, so if you're stuck, go for it !

20200515_190803.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

26 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Is that particular one recommended as a good general-purpose primer for 00 gauge stuff?

It was recommended above, and from the one experience l had today, it seemed to match the Halfords one which was the best general purpose one l encountered.

Especially if you can't get the Halfords one, it seems very good to me 👍👍👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thumbs up for Hycote after initial tests, seems identical to halfords plastic grey primer as anticipated (ie. same factory). It costs less even with postage from UK and is 400ml instead of 300ml, so great value. I bought a 4-pack.

IMG_6021.JPG

IMG_6035.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...