Help! My static grass won't stand

Rate this question

gm171 kk

Question

13 answers to this question

In the second photo, the pin/nail at the end of the wire linked to the applicator is not pushed into the surface adjacent to where you're laying the grass. This could be the problem. If you move onto a different area, you will need to take out the pin and insert it into the surface of the new location you are working on.

Also, this may sound like a daft question, but... is the battery charged?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Garfield said:

In the second photo, the pin/nail at the end of the wire linked to the applicator is not pushed into the surface adjacent to where you're laying the grass. This could be the problem. If you move onto a different area, you will need to take out the pin and insert it into the surface of the new location you are working on.

Also, this may sound like a daft question, but... is the battery charged?

That photo is just to show the applicator I'm using. The nail is always in contact with the board where I'm applying the grass. The batteries are new and hood quality. 

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, gm171 kk said:

That photo is just to show the applicator I'm using. The nail is always in contact with the board where I'm applying the grass. The batteries are new and hood quality. 

Hmm. Is there any indication that the applicator is taking power from the battery (e.g. a small LED that lights up when switched on)?

Just looking at the photos in your first post-

it seems to me you have not spread the pva glue throughout! It should be a 'sea' of glue total in the area your working on and not just blobs here and there, also ensure the nail is attached to the sea of glue to complete the circuit......

I read somewhere that their might be difficulty with long static grass and that unit- try some shorter grass maybe.

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 3

Why is the earthing pin touching a metal rail instead of driven into the wet board near where you are applying it? Also for conductivity better to use a simple metal pin or nail rather than a galvanised one. 

Edited by Noel

6 hours ago, gm171 kk said:

As above lads. The nail is always as close as possible to where I'm spreading the grass. 

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Why is the earthing pin touching a metal rail instead of driven into the wet board near where you are applying it? Also for conductivity better to use a simple metal pin or nail rather than a galvanised one. 

I'll try a different nail. 

• Like 1

I've just tested these two this morning. I changed the nail to a wire to give me more room (I often hit the nail with the applicator). The 2mm grass is woodland scenics like the 12mm (not overly impressed with the result but most of it seems to stand). The 5mm grass is Faller and its all standing. 

IMG_20200515_095134.jpg

IMG_20200515_095145.jpg

Edited by gm171 kk
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, gm171 kk said:

I'll try a different nail. 

Ideally the metal pin or nail should be in contact with the area you have wet with a water PVA diluted mix for maximum conductivity. If spreading longer grass go easy on the application so longer heavier pieces falling do not flatten stands already standing.  Built it up in layers slowly. Have fun and give it a good 24hrs to day.

• Like 1

I now use a small jeweller's screwdriver instead of a nail. To help the grass stand up, I go over the area treated with the vacuum cleaner nozzle, covered with a handkerchief. 

Find 12mm fibres too long, 6mm is about the limit, but you can make longer grass by going over the same area twice.