DSER Cattle Brake

Rate this question

KMCE

Question

Looking to build a DSER cattle brake but seriously lacking in information.  I know they were built in the Grand Canal work between 1875 - 1888, have three third class drover compartments, are numbered in the list of third class brake coaches, but other than that not much more. 

Would anyone have any images, or other information they would care to share?

Many thanks,

Ken

5 answers to this question

It might be worth contacting the Historical Model Railway Society https://hmrs.org.uk/drawings.html at one stage Richard Chown of Castle Rackrent fame  acted as "Irish Steward".  A lot of the rolling stock on Castle Rackrent appears to have been built by British builders rather than by Irish companies.

Its possible that British builders like Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon, Ashbury etc. built "Cattle Brakes" for the Dublin Wicklow and Wexford Railway in the mid-late 19th Century

15 hours ago, KMCE said:

Looking to build a DSER cattle brake but seriously lacking in information.  I know they were built in the Grand Canal work between 1875 - 1888, have three third class drover compartments, are numbered in the list of third class brake coaches, but other than that not much more. 

Would anyone have any images, or other information they would care to share?

Many thanks,

Ken

Could be wrong, Ken, but I think I've seen a pic somewhere in the IRRS, from the days there were drawers of old b&w prints that one could browse to pick up historical details. Were they externally wooden framed with two passenger compartments at one end?

Guys,

Many thanks for the information.

@Billycan & @Mike 84C - I have subscribed to New Irish Lines & hopefully I will be able to work with them going forward.

@Mayner- Thanks for the link to the HRMS John.  I have had a quick look and they appear to have some good information, but not the model in quesiton.   Interestingly, they appear to have drawings of the very early tipping wagons which would be very nice to model.  I'll need to get in touch to get the drawings as they have no previews available.

The brakes were built by DWWR in the Grand Canal Works, so were an in-house creation rather than sourced from English companies.

@jhb171achill- I have planned to drop back in to the IIRRS once they open again.  As noted above they wagons / coaches were built in the works so it's a bit difficult to establish how they were built.  My guess is that given they are listed in the list of 3rd Brake Coaches, they may resemble coaches rather than wagons.  The information I have is that they had 3 x 3rd Class compartments for drovers and the brake - so perhaps a modification / developemnt of a 5 compartment brake, either 28 or 30' overall?

Ken

• Like 2