Why did mk1 GSVs have air brake through piping?

Rate this question

murphaph

Question

8 answers to this question

Some BR vans & TPO stock were fitted with through pipes for working with the air braked 62'9" container flats on the Galway Liner Mail & possibly the Cork Night Mail. 

The Dublin-Galway Night Mail and North Wall-Galway Liner was combined into a single Liner Mail in the late 80s when the mail lost its passenger accommodation until mail trains ceased to operate in the early 1990s.

The 62'9" wagons were converted to carry timber traffic in the mid 1990s, Galway Liner traffic was carried on an out and back trip working from Galway that connected into the North Wall-Claremorris Liner at Athlone.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

4 hours ago, Niles said:

I know of the extant ones in Ireland, Downpatrick's 3189 is dualbraked... the RPSI pair are vac only as is the weedspray one *I think*.

The vans were only vacuum braked, not dual braked. The through pipes connected the loco to the air brakes on the wagons, running along the outside of the underframe. The vans were, if I remember correctly, T.L.A.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, josefstadt said:

The vans were only vacuum braked, not dual braked. The through pipes connected the loco to the air brakes on the wagons, running along the outside of the underframe. The vans were, if I remember correctly, T.L.A.

ah yes... my brain wasn't engaged phrasing that earlier!