Decoder for Plough van

Rate this question

controller

Question

17 answers to this question

Thanks NIR, I don't have anything like that at the moment. I was just trying to avoid online, postal charges, Brexit etc. Marks Models were sold out when I bought the plough van and ballast wagons just after Christmas. I have one or two old decoders that may have light functions, but they are wired. 

Thanks,

Controller.

Be aware that some loco decoders can't be programmed unless there's some resistance where the motor should be as they use the back emf to generate the ack pulses. That's why most locos can be seen moving a tiny bit during programming. It's certainly the case with the standard Lokpilots. I found out when installing one in a dummy power car to control the lighting.

That’s correct about the decoder needing to see a motor during programming if it’s an old loco decoder

. That’s why I always address them when plugged into a loco and also increase the value of CV29 by 1 in one of the decoders being fitted into a pair of the vans.

Also by giving them the same address they change the lights automatically with the change of direction 

Murphaph, I had a look at the decoder you suggested. I has everything I require, except that one is wired . The one I need is a eight pin direct connection. There is not much room in the van, and the wires would show. I will ask the lads in IRM if they have any, or maybe they can tell me where I can get the right one. 

Thanks,

Controller.

Murphaph, Sorry about the confusion. I read the instructions again, that came with the van.(The PCB contains an eight-pin DCC decoder socket). When I bought the van from Marks, he told me they didn't have the right decoder, the only one he had was a wired one, and the wires would be seen hanging down in the compartment. That made me think that there was such a decoder without wires.  Back to the drawing board.

Thanks,

Controller.

• Like 1

On 15/1/2021 at 2:00 AM, irishthump said:

Just wondering if you have actually used this? It does seem to have back EMF

On 15/1/2021 at 3:40 AM, NIRCLASS80 said:

Does this one work well, install easily , no wires showing? Looks like it has a small stay alive so hopefully no light flickering?

1 hour ago, DiveController said:

Just wondering if you have actually used this? It does seem to have back EMF

Does this one work well, install easily , no wires showing? Looks like it has a small stay alive so hopefully no light flickering?

They work fine for me but light flickering is still an issue