Murphy Models 141 Repair

Rate this question

B141

Question

Hi all,

I recently came across a Murphy Models B141, but unfortunately the air tanks/reservoir piece (the two cylinders between the steps at the centre of the model underneath) is missing, as is one of the couplings. Has anyone had any experience/advice for replacing these or fabricating replacements (or does anyone even have any spares?)

Thanks

16 answers to this question

17 hours ago, B141 said:

Hi all,

I recently came across a Murphy Models B141, but unfortunately the air tanks/reservoir piece (the two cylinders between the steps at the centre of the model underneath) is missing, as is one of the couplings. Has anyone had any experience/advice for replacing these or fabricating replacements (or does anyone even have any spares?)

Thanks

I'll check if I have any spares of these cylinders salvaged from donors I used for C class models.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Noel said:

I'll check if I have any spares of these cylinders salvaged from donors I used for C class models.

That’s very kind of you Noel, thank you very much.

6 hours ago, murphaph said:

Assuming no spares are available after all these years, it would be relatively straightforward (if you can solder) to replace the original Bachmann PCB with an aftermarket one. 

For example:

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/adapterplatinen/21mtc-adapter-board-2/

I will take a look at that, thank you very much.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, B141 said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Are these the parts you are looking for?IMG_9865.thumb.jpeg.33123e1390b0c3a99986cc227ac677a3.jpeg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yes they had been repurposed. Might have another surplus in about 4 months time as another C class has just started progress.

If any of them are MM0143 or MM0187 I would be interested in purchasing if you're interested in selling when the time comes 🙂 (a shot in the dark I know lol)

2 minutes ago, murphaph said:

If any of them are MM0143 or MM0187 I would be interested in purchasing if you're interested in selling when the time comes 🙂 (a shot in the dark I know lol)

I think the next body shell may be 161SA.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 1:07 AM, murphaph said:

Assuming no spares are available after all these years, it would be relatively straightforward (if you can solder) to replace the original Bachmann PCB with an aftermarket one. 

For example:

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/adapterplatinen/21mtc-adapter-board-2/

That is an interesting Murphaph but if I can get an replacement board that is working, I would of course prefer that. Also, with the lights on the model, if I had to go down this route, I am looking at this: http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-dcc-direct/. I do appreciate you finding this one and bringing it to my attention

28 minutes ago, mmie353 said:

That is an interesting Murphaph but if I can get an replacement board that is working, I would of course prefer that. Also, with the lights on the model, if I had to go down this route, I am looking at this: http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-dcc-direct/. I do appreciate you finding this one and bringing it to my attention

I'm not sure that item is sold in Europe but even if it is, it's a sound decoder. Just so you know. I'm not sure that's what you wanted. It's also a hard wired decoder, rather than a socket for a decoder. If you are happy to hard wire the decoder you could bypass the Bachmann PCB altogether and solder the wires (extending where necessary) directly to your existing decoder, though I would recommend against it.

28 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I'm not sure that item is sold in Europe but even if it is, it's a sound decoder. Just so you know. I'm not sure that's what you wanted. It's also a hard wired decoder, rather than a socket for a decoder. If you are happy to hard wire the decoder you could bypass the Bachmann PCB altogether and solder the wires (extending where necessary) directly to your existing decoder, though I would recommend against it.

Yeah that Select Direct Decoder is a aimed at the US market so it’s not readily available in Europe, although I’ve seen them for sale from Digitrains in the UK from time to time.

It could be difficult finding a pcb to fit, you could also try wiring one of these in place of the board....

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/223080396588

• Like 1

Is there any model in the Bachmann range that would have a similar board to the one in the 141? It would be something that I could also consider. I do not have a DCC decoder yet for this model but if I get it going, I will be looking to convert it to DCC.