CIE Police

Rate this question

WRENNEIRE

Question

8 answers to this question

They were basically Inchicore Works security for the most part as far as I know, but may have performed other duties outside of the Works. Pretty sure there was an article in the IRRS Journal a few issues back about them.

EDIT : just checked and journal 201 had an article on the CIE police. 

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

From the article, CIE re-introduced railway police in 1946 with all the powers of a police force on railway property. They existed into the 1960's, by which time, their role was little more than security officers or watchmen. Seems their main role was to protect Inchicore Works, but they also undertook other duties at depots, stations and elsewhere. The reference to full police powers is a quote from Cuisle na Tire, the CIE staff magazine, so may have been a bit exaggerated, as I suspect they operated similar to harbour or airport police in policing the company's by-laws on company property.

First CIE policeman was Patrick Duggan, an ex-Irish Army MP. Photo of him at Heuston Station in 1947.

Also, a photo of a CIE policeman at Inchicore in 1964 in the article.

I do remember that security at Inchicore during tours there in the 1990's were IR staff, but these days, security is done by a security company.

Edited by iarnrod
  • Like 2

Interesting!

They could do with them on many train services, and buses and the Luas (different company or not), and in stations, to deal with the scumbags that hang about certain railways stations and cause trouble on trains. And give them EXTENSIVE powers to make these people absolutely terrifed of the consequences of messing about.........

• Like 2

I was not aware that a railway "police" existed but do know that CIE recruited regular staff to travel on the  Sunday Mystery trains to act in the event of unacceptable behaviour which became a problem on some of these excursion trains.  Staff travelled undercover but other that liaising with Garda I don't think they had any real authority. Why do this if they had an actual policing unit?

• Like 2

On 17/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, iarnrod said:

From the article, CIE re-introduced railway police in 1946 with all the powers of a police force on railway property. They existed into the 1960's, by which time, their role was little more than security officers or watchmen. Seems their main role was to protect Inchicore Works, but they also undertook other duties at depots, stations and elsewhere. The reference to full police powers is a quote from Cuisle na Tire, the CIE staff magazine, so may have been a bit exaggerated, as I suspect they operated similar to harbour or airport police in policing the company's by-laws on company property.

First CIE policeman was Patrick Duggan, an ex-Irish Army MP. Photo of him at Heuston Station in 1947.

Also, a photo of a CIE policeman at Inchicore in 1964 in the article.

I do remember that security at Inchicore during tours there in the 1990's were IR staff, but these days, security is done by a security company.

I only remember C.I.E police in Inchicore works. I worked in Connolly, Pearse and Heuston depots, and I don't recall seeing C.I. E police in any of those places.

• Like 2