gradients

Rate this topic

richrua

Do remember that, if the slope is on a curve that will add to the resistance, you can have a steeper straight slope than a curved one.

I made a couple of slopes using the full eight feet of a piece of hardboard to make the 'boxes' - with a 2½ inch rise we had no real problems, running all sorts of stuff - but, they were dead straight.

The very steepest gradients in Ireland were the quarter mile just short of Hillsborough station in the Knockmore Junction side and the cutting just south of Downpatrick station, through which it will one day become possible to travel again by train. These were 1 in sixty-ish - I'd have to look it up.

One in sixty - for example - would be one inch rise per sixty inches (or five feet / about 1.5m) length. A model railway will comfortably cope with gradients three times this steep.

Edited by jhb171achill

The very steepest gradients in Ireland were the quarter mile just short of Hillsborough station in the Knockmore Junction side and the cutting just south of Downpatrick station, through which it will one day become possible to travel again by train. These were 1 in sixty-ish - I'd have to look it up.

One in sixty - for example - would be one inch rise per sixty inches (or five feet / about 1.5m) length. A model railway will comfortably cope with gradients three times this steep.

What about Killarney station, the bank always looked savage steep to me!

Around about the 6 min mark the you'll see the driver having to rev the bejesus out of 147!

I built my gradient. Tested and working fine with the weakest of my engines. I know my railway looks a bit train set like - all the old hornby buildings - but I dont want to get rid of them being 30 odd years old... Perhaps I am more of a railway modeller who lives in Ireland than an Irish railway modeller ! But I am getting great enjoym20140117_223019.jpgent once again. Thanks for all the help.