Who to go to for custom model build?

Rate this topic

Railer

As the thread title says really.

I currently have a second hand Sliver Fox Mk1 GSV and 2 Dutch Vans, while they nice and do a ok job they are not great runners.

Looking through this site there is some great talent and I remember being impressed with the Mk3 EGV brass build and paint job.

Basically I am looking for someone who would be willing and able to make an accurate Mk1 GSV, Dutch Van and Mk3 EGV or who would be the people to ask?

I bought a D&M 2600 set and am more than happy with excellent work that went in to that so I've an idea of the high end price involved in any custom works.

Be prepared for a long wait

Oh I know. There is a bit of a back order on the 2600s, have 1 set out of 3 so far. Well worth it though imo.

As it is, it's a project in itself for me to just try and fit detail parts to a loco. Almost destroyed a Mk2 trying to remove a nem coupler to fit a kaydee that ended up too short and I haven't cut it off yet. I'm more suited to brute force type of tasks I think.

I don't mind how long things take when they turn out good. I'd rather someone take their time and turn out the top goods than rush something out the door. I'm like that dressing data cables at work, I take a bit longer than most of the lads but the end results speak for themselves.

I currently have a second hand Sliver Fox Mk1 GSV and 2 Dutch Vans, while they nice and do a ok job they are not great runners.

Hi Railer. Just FYI, I have two Silver fox RTR Dutch GSV vans. The first one I got last year was a great runner and was delivered gently weathered. The second one I received a few weeks ago didn't run as well as the wheels occasionally came into contact with the coach floor (i.e. bogie too close to coach). On inspection I discovered the first GSV had an extra plastic shim glued onto the transparent plastic bogie separators, whereas the new arrival didn't. I glued ultra thin plasticard spacer shims on top of the existing transparent bogie spacers on the second GSV and now it runs as well as the first due to the increased gap between the bogies and coach floor. I also have an SF Mk1 GSV and it runs well with MM Cravens and IFM Park Royals. Noel

IMG_5264.jpg

Edited by Noel

That's the same issues I have with mine too Noel. I tried a similar fix to what you did but the coach just sat far too high on the bogies. Your solution looks to solve the lateral swaying I get running them causing them to snag on things as they go by.

That's the same issues I have with mine too Noel. I tried a similar fix to what you did but the coach just sat far too high on the bogies. Your solution looks to solve the lateral swaying I get running them causing them to snag on things as they go by.

Understand. On my first attempt dry assembled, the plasticard I used was a little too thick, but I found some paper thin plasticard which did the trick.