Rate this topic

seanrail

Welcome to the forum page on my HO/OO Gauge Layout Project: 'Great British Carlow', a British spin-off layout based on Carlow Railway Station in Ireland, set on the London Midland Region of British Railways during the last years of steam from 1955 when the Modernisation Plan was published to the end of steam in 1968. Keep up to date on progress of this layout here, as well as on the workbench session of this forum.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm designing the Station Canopy, here's some CAD Design work I've done for two of the Storey Wings, along with the Entrance & Exit Walls between them.5a4cdff8cc72c_CarlowStationStoreyWingBuilding1CADDesign.png.8728528082e73740f5d17dbd92c8c903.png

Note: The Storey Wing CAD Design below is and unfinished draft as I have been unable to find photographs or images to show where to correctly place the door on the right hand side of the CAD Image.

5a4cdffbe6da1_CarlowStationStoreyWingBuilding2CADDesign(Unfinished).thumb.png.454703d791a6f24ba8ccc05729ac1449.png

Entrance & Exit Walls between the Storey Wings below:

5a4ce0a4ea404_CarlowStationEntranceExitWallsforbetweenStoreyWIngs1CADDesign.png.03be2f75142dcc18eba6a5e8d2fa189b.png

5a4ce0a54dbbc_CarlowStationEntranceExitWallsforbetweenStoreyWIngs2CADDesign.png.b685d2a84b5f69cdff2014dea545f7e2.png

Nice!

Bear in mind the colour scheme on the oft-seen model of Carlow station displays the modern IE colour scheme of cream and grey. In the 1990s it was red, white and blue; while in the 70s / early 80s, it was white, black and two shades of grey. Prior to that; from the dawn of time (GSR, early CIE) into the 1960s, cream with leaf green door frames and white glazing bars.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Informative 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Nice!

Bear in mind the colour scheme on the oft-seen model of Carlow station displays the modern IE colour scheme of cream and grey. In the 1990s it was red, white and blue; while in the 70s / early 80s, it was white, black and two shades of grey. Prior to that; from the dawn of time (GSR, early CIE) into the 1960s, cream with leaf green door frames and white glazing bars.

Thanks for the livery timeline, jhb171achill. That information is most helpful. Will redo the livery of the storey wings, and of course, the main station building.

Hi Sean

I can give you more detailed info if you let me know what period you intend to represent.....

The period of my layout is the 1950's and 1960's. Any information, images or photographs of that period would be gratefully received. If you have any website links to obtain this information, please send them to me. Thanks in advance, jhb171achill. Kind regards, Seanrail for your reply to my request.

In that case, Sean, we're looking at the following.

Internal: Dark leaf green painted walls, with dark cream upper panels separated at waist level by a 1" black line.

External: Painted walls - be they wood-panelled or perhaps painted concrete finish - light grey or light cream colour (cream if wood). Doors, door frames and the like, weatherboards, gutters and facias, the same dark green (CIE pre-1955 darker green / CIE bus green / CIE steam engine green). Tanks on water towers usually the same, though occasionally galvanised silver / grey. The actual glazing surrounds on windows are white.

Station signs: If of ex-GSR origin, enamel signs with bilingual white lettering on black background, but the white will not be pristine - you'd need to weather it to off-white. Or - if it appears to be newly painted, a new CIE plastic sign or a repainted pre-GSR one, the opposite: white background, black letters. 

I'm assuming you're looking at CIE lines. If you're thinking of GNR or UTA, whole different ball game, though the UTA was also fond of dark green and cream!

Your model shown above looks like a rendered cement finish wall. If that is correct, a very pale grey stone-coloured finish (if not a cement-like finish: many cement walls WERE bare unpainted then, but were only painted by IE years later). The corner stones are highly unlikely to have been picked out a different colour, though I think (but stand to be corrected) that a few buildings would have been - if so, dark green, but probably same stone colour.

Facia boards dark green. If those window surrounds on your drawing are stone surrounds, unpainted bare stone. If they are wood, dark green, but the actual frames round the glass inside them - white. Wooden doors - solid green.

• Informative 1

18 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Internal: Dark leaf green painted walls, with dark cream upper panels separated at waist level by a 1" black line.

External: Painted walls - be they wood-panelled or perhaps painted concrete finish - light grey or light cream colour (cream if wood). Doors, door frames and the like, weatherboards, gutters and facias, the same dark green (CIE pre-1955 darker green / CIE bus green / CIE steam engine green). Tanks on water towers usually the same, though occasionally galvanised silver / grey. The actual glazing surrounds on windows are white.

Station signs: If of ex-GSR origin, enamel signs with bilingual white lettering on black background, but the white will not be pristine - you'd need to weather it to off-white. Or - if it appears to be newly painted, a new CIE plastic sign or a repainted pre-GSR one, the opposite: white background, black letters. 

I'm assuming you're looking at CIE lines. If you're thinking of GNR or UTA, whole different ball game, though the UTA was also fond of dark green and cream!

Your model shown above looks like a rendered cement finish wall. If that is correct, a very pale grey stone-coloured finish (if not a cement-like finish: many cement walls WERE bare unpainted then, but were only painted by IE years later). The corner stones are highly unlikely to have been picked out a different colour, though I think (but stand to be corrected) that a few buildings would have been - if so, dark green, but probably same stone colour.

Facia boards dark green. If those window surrounds on your drawing are stone surrounds, unpainted bare stone. If they are wood, dark green, but the actual frames round the glass inside them - white. Wooden doors - solid green.

Thanks jhb171achill. The information you have provided me will be very valuable to my research for my station buildings. I appreciate the time you have taken to help me with my ongoing research. Thanks once again. Seanrail.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2018 at 11:59 AM, jhb171achill said:

Interesting concept Irish buildings in a UK mainland context, though Sancton Wood the GSWR architect who designed Carlow station was a Londoner who also built stations in England.

Will be very interesting with Sean giving Carlow a London Midland Region BR twang with everything in maroon and cream http://www.stationcolours.info/index.php?p=1_2_LMS

Carlow's Gothic buildings would fit in well in the Potteries or Lake Lake District with a dark and brooding slightly neglected LMR setting or am I thinking too much of Brief Encounter

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Interesting concept Irish buildings in a UK mainland context, though Sancton Wood the GSWR architect who designed Carlow station was a Londoner who also built stations in England.

Will be very interesting with Sean giving Carlow a London Midland Region BR twang with everything in maroon and cream http://www.stationcolours.info/index.php?p=1_2_LMS

Carlow's Gothic buildings would fit in well in the Potteries or Lake Lake District with a dark and brooding slightly neglected LMR setting or am I thinking too much of Brief Encounter

Thank you, Mayner for the information and web link! Glad you like the layout idea! Took me by surprise that Sancton Wood designed Carlow Station, despite sources that I have found saying that it was  Benjamin John Mcneill that designed Carlow Station. Maybe both Mcneill and Wood designed the station together, correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

Ahh!!!!  I'm quoting CIE colours - but I forgot it's meant to be in Britain!

D'oh....

(mind you, if it turns out to be based in Ireland, the above applies!)

Don't worry, jhb171achill. The information you have provided is still very valuable. Thank you once again! Kind Regards. Seanrail.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2018 at 1:55 PM, seanrail said:

While I'm designing the Station Canopy, here's some CAD Design work I've done for two of the Storey Wings, along with the Entrance & Exit Walls between them.5a4cdff8cc72c_CarlowStationStoreyWingBuilding1CADDesign.png.8728528082e73740f5d17dbd92c8c903.png

Note: The Storey Wing CAD Design below is and unfinished draft as I have been unable to find photographs or images to show where to correctly place the door on the right hand side of the CAD Image.

5a4cdffbe6da1_CarlowStationStoreyWingBuilding2CADDesign(Unfinished).thumb.png.454703d791a6f24ba8ccc05729ac1449.png

Entrance & Exit Walls between the Storey Wings below:

5a4ce0a4ea404_CarlowStationEntranceExitWallsforbetweenStoreyWIngs1CADDesign.png.03be2f75142dcc18eba6a5e8d2fa189b.png

5a4ce0a54dbbc_CarlowStationEntranceExitWallsforbetweenStoreyWIngs2CADDesign.png.b685d2a84b5f69cdff2014dea545f7e2.png

You are probably aware of the Bachmann resin version of the station at Carlow:

DSCF1074.thumb.JPG.5006a5d9eb1296dfa266264b91fe60ae.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

You are probably aware of the Bachmann resin version of the station at Carlow:

DSCF1074.thumb.JPG.5006a5d9eb1296dfa266264b91fe60ae.JPG

Yes I am, Irishrailwayman. Bought one at the Wexford October Model Railway Exhibition at the local Christian Brothers School in 2014, along with The Auld House Pub.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Speedy said:

Watching this with great interest to see how the local train station works out with a British twist to it :D

There's a few old and not so old photos on the "Old Carlow Photos" Facebook page that might be of help to you

Cheers, Speedy. Nice photos. Very helpful. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...