export

Rate this topic

kevo

Hi just wanted to ask can any one tell me if the 141 CLASS  locos  and 071 CLASS   were just built for  irish railways only by general motors . Or did they   export that same design to any other country . 

2 hours ago, kevo said:

Hi just wanted to ask can any one tell me if the 141 CLASS  locos  and 071 CLASS   were just built for  irish railways only by general motors . Or did they   export that same design to any other country . 

In their exact form, only Irish railways. However, the Americans had (not sure which line) an almost-lookalike bigger 121 with six-wheel bogies, and several countries had designs based on, but not looking like, 071s. I am unaware of anything anywhere else even remotely resembling a 141 or 181.

An interesting quirk was five 121 types built as (shorter) six-wheeled shunters; I believe the remains of one is still lurking at the back of a depot in Argentina. An interesting future scratch-build model, and any old six-wheel chassis would do, as protective guard rails along the lower sides hid the wheels from view!

Mechanically and electrically the 141 and 071 are standard EMD export designs custom built to the customers requirements using standard components, hence the similarity in cab design between the 141/071 and the RENFE 319 & Yugoslavian 003.

During the 1950s EMD supplied 382 standard G8 (8 cylinders) and over 1100 G12 (12 cylinder) export locomotives to railways in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe South and Central America. These locos were based on North American road switcher design with single cab and narrow car body available in Bo Bo, A1A A1A or Co Co wheel arrangement.

The lightweight GL6 & GL8 models were developed in 1960 in response to customer demand for a light weigh low axle load locomotive as the standard G8 shared the same body and running gear as the G12 was considered cumbersome with a low power to weight ratio.

The EMD assembled GL6 & GL8 which included the CIE 121 Class was an end cabbed design of similar appearance. The GL6 was a 3 axle C or 0-6-0 design supplied to the Lebanon, the 149 GL8 were supplied in A1A A1A for to railways in Asia, the Bo Bo version to railways in Tunisia, Brazil & Ireland. The Irish 121 appears to have been the only raised cabbed version the majority of GL8s were built with the cab roof flush with the hood. 

Clyde Locomotive Works built an Australian version of the GL8 supplied in narrow (3'6"), Standard and Irish Broad Gauge with distinctive cab and car body styling.

The GL8 morphed into the JL8 or double cabbed 141 Class in 1961 which subsequently developed into the JL18 or 181 Class in 1966. The JL8 and JL18 type appears to have been built exclusively for CIE.

The 071 & 111 Classes appears to be part of a large family of GT22 and JT22 turbocharged 12 cylinder Export Models introduced in the early 70s in response to demand for high horsepower locomotives for fast freight and passenger work.

The 071s are classified as JT22 CW (double cabbed, turbo charged, wide cab?) The NZR DF was introduced as the 1650hp non-turbo charged GL22MC model in 1979 and re-built to  the 2400hp DFT Class to GT22 MC spec between 1992-97 for fast freight work.

Apart from different appearance, gauge, usage  and traction control systems the CIE 071 and the New Zealand DFT are essentially the same EMD Export Model mechanically and electrically. The 071s & 111s were originally introduce for heavy high speed passenger work, more recently used on freight and engineering duties, while the DF evolved from a slow speed drag freight duties to high speed express freight duties, with a small number of locomotives on tourist passenger and commuter duties

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Yes - family likeness of original RENFE 319 class fairly evident here...

F279F9F3-E5BD-4F1B-8B66-07A4234C0465.jpeg

But not here ......

5FDCCA9A-0301-42C6-AFF1-2C5F967FDED3.jpeg

Interesting evolution from a standard American assembled single cabbed export design to a locally assembled double cab design using standard EMD components to designing and building locomotives under license for export and domestic market. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RENFE_Class_319_(early_versions)

The Macosa version of the 319 Class appear to have a lot in common with recent Clyde Engineering practice with large angular car bodies and cabs

http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/G Class Locomotive (Series 1).htm

Thats amazing  you can see the simlar  look there  in those locos . they have such a clasic shape  its a shame there are not more of them scattered over the world.  ime in the uk  it would have been really nice if good old BR  had placed a order for some  141's and 071's i could just picture them in BR blue  and yellow ends even in BR green .

2 hours ago, kevo said:

Thats amazing  you can see the simlar  look there  in those locos . they have such a clasic shape  its a shame there are not more of them scattered over the world.  ime in the uk  it would have been really nice if good old BR  had placed a order for some  141's and 071's i could just picture them in BR blue  and yellow ends even in BR green .

Presumably with somewhat dented cabs and sides, due to the smaller loading gauge?

your right there moxy  loading gauge  would be a reall problem  they would have to had them custom  built , thats a sad pic for  foster yeomans  alco  ime a fan of the alco's ime not sure but i think the foster yeoman alco is preserved  some where i could be wrong tho . its nice to know that a american loco  was used here be the only chance of hearing  a real alco . ime really glad i asked the question now about 141's and 071's its turning up some real gems of pics from people .🙂

@Moxy - Thanks for the link to that website, lots of very interesting photographs and worth a look. I've noticed in recent years that more and more industrial traction units are been modeled. Regarding the Alcos in Wales, they were the first U.S. built diesel locomotives to arrive on these islands - the 121s were the first EMD [U.S.] locomotives built for export (I'm open to correction on that). Yeoman Class 59s of the late eighties were the precursor for the Class 66 - while the 201(new) bares a family resemblance to the 59s and 66s I think that's where any similarities end. The class 77s being seen more and more across continental Europe are class 66s with roof mounted air conditioning units.