Fair Warning....Yesterday Channel

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

Seen this pop up, I had a few punts over the years with Vectis and never won a tad, Lure you in with tiny prices and then bang all hell breaks loos.

If you have not looked at the Vectis site they do cover lots of interesting toys and Lot and lots or trains, Wont be bidding anymore now though now with Brexit. too much hassle. Good Publicity though. fly on the wall about IRM would be mad Eh!

I don't mind some of the programs on yesterday (gave up on the Brooklands one though)  but there is lots of repeated shots and lots of Add so better of watching it of catch up or tape it.

image.png.4e1202e4ba4748ebc200845e9ee942b8.png

Would love one of these to play with, hours of fun in the 80's

image.png.5a06de00965e7b198238cb6dda3d0589.png

On a kind of similar theme, on Netflix there's a show called The Toys That Made Us. Each episode focuses on a different toy, and goes into the history of it, with interviews with the creators/designers etc.

None are railway related though, but the likes of Barbie, GI Joe, etc

• Like 1

Cool, I take a look at the Firestick thing to see if it is on that, Mabye an Action man one would be great.

The Rib with working motor was awesome!

Timage.thumb.png.b3d02c7a70c3d53e579bdc57a2bf430e.png

The Tank looks Nah now but to a 8 y/o ad the bees knees, Some battles were had with the Rib, Helicopter and the Tank.

image.png.472666f22b84ae0bb63ecb4a7851ff2f.png

Still missing a Action man tied to a parachute some where in Watergrasshill.

• Like 2

I've 'assisted' at a few fairs where Mr Vectis has had a stall and we've had the odd chat - particularly about the origin of the name.

Having lived in Hampshire for a couple of years in the late 60s and done a bit of Latin, it seemed odd to me that an organisation based in Teesside should be named after the Roman name for the Isle of Wight. He explained about the origins, as in the 'About Us' on the website.

Naming a company after a place can have its drawbacks, if a move happens, but using a 'defunct' version of the name can hide it from most people.

In the 80's I bought a few electronic items from East Cornwall Components, who were, by that time, actually in Wem, in Shropshire.

And Wilmslow Audio is now somewhere around Leicester or Coventry...

Edited by Broithe
A bit more.
  • Like 1

Flipping heck Some amount of gear goes through that place looking at the 'About us' 

I do ponder if this is mostly old chaps stuff gone to the model shop in the sky as lot of it is quite old, obviously appeal so some folks.

Lots of bids undervalued at low prices to hook in the punters for the bidding war. Last one I bid on was a G Scale Mannin, Estimated @ 400-500 went for £1400 in the end! 

Now the Isle of Wight is a place I like to revisit, Maybe by Hovercraft! only 25 quid for a flight!

You do have some stuff under you belt Broithe. (whats that Latin for? :))

12 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

You do have some stuff under you belt Broithe. (whats that Latin for? :))

A vectis would be a lever or bar-shaped tool of some sort - there are scoops for hoicking wax out of your ear that that would be the technical name for now, but I think it was just a word that the Romans used as a name for the island, possibly a similar-sounding corruption of whatever the Britons there at the time called it themselves - as they would do themselves all around the world a bit later on...

Foreign Body Removal Scoop, Usage: Hospital, Clinic, | ID: 17381503655

I presume Wight is a further transformation of the name over later years. although possibly originating in a word meaning 'separate' or 'isolated' and just passing through the Vectis-phase whilst the Romans were around.

As for the hovercraft - there have been several attempts at tunnels and there was a referendum about having a bridge a while back - the residents voted against it, despite the crossing being on the high side, in terms of price per mile travelled, they seem to value the separation.

Mr Vectis is quite a dour character, but he does know what it's all about...

As for having stuff under my belt, I got my second jab this morning and the jabber told me "My mother would make you eat a sack of spuds!"