Tools required

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

8 answers to this question

York Modelmaking for windows and doors. Although it’s easy enough to make your own sash windows. Slaters plastic rod and strip will do your gutters and downpipes - it’s what I use in 7mm and 3mm. Easily sourced off EBay or direct from Slaters themselves. SE Finecast are another useful supplier. These guys are good for all sorts too, with a great tool catalogue

….https://www.hobbies.co.uk/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaignid=2039839371&utm_campaign=Hobbies_Brand&utm_term=hobbies uk&adid=536046008612&addisttype=g&matchtype=e&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eaJBhDMARIsANhrQAAyCgPkBqgz3fjQpcaw418sok_FtSlhCg_bQ3XA11p2xYbx0c07yLQaAjKpEALw_wcB

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Checked out the SE Finecast website - it's like something from 1988 with just lists.

I delivered some stuff there a while ago and he gave me a good look round the place.

It would be ungentlemanly to guess at his age then, but he'll be ten years older now...

• Like 2

Make my guttering from sheet plasticard. Use 80thou in 7mm scale, so 40 would be ok in 4. Cut a strip wide enough to just project beyond the roof tiles when the other edge is pressed against the wall. Next, round off the outside edge to look like the guttering. Where the inside edge of the gutter can be seen, cut this to size and round off, but only for a couple of cm. The rest cannot be seen, plus the inside edge of the strip glues nicely to the wall of the building.

Downpipes are made from round or square section strip, with joints made by adding thin strips of masking tape, while the fixings on the walls are just more small pieces of plastic strip.

Once painted (black for the top of the guttering), such deceptions are very effective and don't take long to make.

As for tools and materials, my go to is always Eileen's Emporium, who provide excellent on line service and better still at shows, where an A1 sheet of plasticard can be bought for the same price as A4 in your local shop. Slater's also have a good range of materials and their service is excellent too.

For windows, York Model making are hard to beat, especially with the cost of microstrip being so high. It is almost as cheap to buy York Windows as it is to make them yourself in 7mm scale.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1