Request for help: Which model Mk3s best for Irish conversion

Rate this question

Robert Davies

Question

Say I was going shopping for a set of Mk3 coaches, which models should I be looking for to best represent the Irish Mk3s? Lima? Hornby etc?

Please be as specific as possible :) Model numbers if it helps!

From a repainting point of view, I was told some are better than others for masking/repainting, which would those be?

Thanks for any and all assistance :D

-Rob

24 answers to this question

Hi Robert,well the only coach that I can help you with

is the mk3 EGV.Studio scale models do the brass overlays

for this conversion which include the numbers and roof

Detail.The donor coach in normally the BR mk3 sleeper

coach but I used a spare Hornby diner.All the rest of my

mk3 stock are repaints from Seamus Graham which are

nice job.Lima Murphy mk3 make up the rest of the stock.

I hope this is some help,and I am sure you will get more

advice from the lads on the other coaches.You can view my

EGV on page one of enniscorthymans workbench.I posted

up on YouTube a video of a friends EGV with a sound chip

and lights.

I used some of the older Hornby MK3's and you can see how they turned out on my workbench pagehttp://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/77-Graham-s-Workbench/page2

I used these as I had picked then up very cheap on Ebay and while I'm very pleased with the result they were difficult to repaint because of the glazing not being seperate. You can see in the pics that a lot of tedious masking was needed. The coaches are also shorter than the prototype.

I used some of the older Hornby MK3's and you can see how they turned out on my workbench pagehttp://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/77-Graham-s-Workbench/page2

I used these as I had picked then up very cheap on Ebay and while I'm very pleased with the result they were difficult to repaint because of the glazing not being seperate. You can see in the pics that a lot of tedious masking was needed. The coaches are also shorter than the prototype.

Yours turned out excellent! The only thing I would point out is that the doors at the end of the gangways only have one window instead out the two at either side.

Robert which ever MK111 you choose you will have to make compromises. The doors on ours were of the electrical type except for two on the restaurant coaches which were the standard type. The windows on ours were also slightly bigger, but it shouldn't really be a big issue. In my own opinion the Lima coaches seemed to represent the shape of the body better than the Hornby version. If you go with the Lima version get some Laser Glaze and etched window surrounds from Shawplan. They really bring the coaches to life.

Eamonns EGV turned out sweet and you can't go wrong the way he did it. If you decide you want flush looking glazing use Hornby scale length coaches and you can reuse the glazing. Unfortunately the bogies on either type are very poorly detailed. Southern Pride Models produce really excellent MK111 bogies in white metal and they are fantastic castings. Whatever you choose Robert I'm sure you'll do a great job and let us know how you get on. I didn't mention the Jouef MK111 as they would require the most work where as the other two I'm sure will suit you.

Rich,

SSM also have a transfers pack to do all varieties, EGV, Diner, Standard and 1st class as well as a pack of 3" white stripes in decal form. Having made a minor horlicks doing this the paint way, the transfer stripes are a lot easier to be frank.......or Weshty (!)

Also have Nickle silver window surrounds...

Edited by Weshty

I did, a few weeks ago...

He said some unlikely sounding character called "Dave Bracken" had his stock for the Dublin show....

:D :D :D

I'll give him another call in the coming week, though having said that, he's (Chris) got another show coming up at The Stillorgan Park, Dublin on the 8th of December.

-Rob

You seem to be aquiring a good bit of stock! Any plans for your own Irish layout?

Woah! Careful now! Don't want that genie getting out of the bottle any time soon!

Translation = Idle musings covering the 1995 -> 2005 time period in a little backwater not far from the border...

Ack! Genie now out of bottle!! :doh:

Some stock?

Let's see... 112, 177, 187, 229, half a dozen Cravens(maybe more!) a brace of Mk2As, a Mk2 restaurant, a MK2 EGV (or is it two?), a brace of beet wagons, a brace of timber wagons, three oil tankers, a 'bubble', three per way beasts, three pocket wagons, a pair of 20ft container wagons.... oh, and a Bachmann "2700", a Dublin bus, and two Guards LR 110s. Enough to be playing trains with certainly!

:trains:

And to cap it all, despite the impression that Broithe and myself give, my wife is actually pretty much in favour of me building a layout(!)

-Rob

-Rob

Woah! Careful now! Don't want that genie getting out of the bottle any time soon!

Translation = Idle musings covering the 1995 -> 2005 time period in a little backwater not far from the border...

Ack! Genie now out of bottle!! :doh:

Some stock?

Let's see... 112, 177, 187, 229, half a dozen Cravens(maybe more!) a brace of Mk2As, a Mk2 restaurant, a MK2 EGV (or is it two?), a brace of beet wagons, a brace of timber wagons, three oil tankers, a 'bubble', three per way beasts, three pocket wagons, a pair of 20ft container wagons.... oh, and a Bachmann "2700", a Dublin bus, and two Guards LR 110s. Enough to be playing trains with certainly!

:trains:

And to cap it all, despite the impression that Broithe and myself give, my wife is actually pretty much in favour of me building a layout(!)

-Rob

-Rob

I might as well jump on the band wagon here: we carry a large of Irish intrest rooling stock and Locomotives:. Mk 2's MK3's, Enterprise, Cattle wagons, 2600, 2700, Caf 3000, just to nemtion a few. We can also respray anything you might require.:cool:

Robert which ever MK111 you choose you will have to make compromises. The doors on ours were of the electrical type except for two on the restaurant coaches which were the standard type. The windows on ours were also slightly bigger, but it shouldn't really be a big issue. In my own opinion the Lima coaches seemed to represent the shape of the body better than the Hornby version. If you go with the Lima version get some Laser Glaze and etched window surrounds from Shawplan. They really bring the coaches to life.

Eamonns EGV turned out sweet and you can't go wrong the way he did it. If you decide you want flush looking glazing use Hornby scale length coaches and you can reuse the glazing. Unfortunately the bogies on either type are very poorly detailed. Southern Pride Models produce really excellent MK111 bogies in white metal and they are fantastic castings. Whatever you choose Robert I'm sure you'll do a great job and let us know how you get on. I didn't mention the Jouef MK111 as they would require the most work where as the other two I'm sure will suit you.

Rich,

Rich I have a couple of Louef MK3111 coaches which I was considering respraying to IR livery at some time. looking at them though I cannot see how you would take them apart. Any ideas? In relation to colour is it safe to assume that if I go to Halfords and ask for VW Brilliant Orange this would be the colour to use.

As I say this is a project on the to do list so any advice would be welcomed

Edited by kevrail

kevrail, the Jouef coaches roof and glazing unit are all one piece that extends all the way down to the floor of the coach.

You need to prise out the sides at the top of the body - enough to clear the flush glazing. Probably best to use cardboard wedges to save your thumbnails!

It's a tough job - I won't kid you there!

-Rob

Well goodness me!

A pair of Hornby Mk3 Virgin TSOs just showed up in the post!

:D :D :D :D

Off to Halfords for some VW Brilliant Orange....

From the delights of ebay - the previous owner has reglued the glazing units with a considerable amount of 'enthusiasm' - The glued join is now w-a-y stronger than either the glazing, or the coach itself.

Luckily I didn't pay much for them....:(

-Rob

kevrail, the Jouef coaches roof and glazing unit are all one piece that extends all the way down to the floor of the coach.

You need to prise out the sides at the top of the body - enough to clear the flush glazing. Probably best to use cardboard wedges to save your thumbnails!

It's a tough job - I won't kid you there!

-Rob

Rob

Have just tried that using cocktail sticks to hold open and out she popped. Will see how I progress with the rest as I expect it is beginners luck. Need to go to Halfords to get VW Brill orange. Thanks Rob

If you can't get the VW Brilliant Orange in Halfords, some motor factors (such as Vinny Byrne's) can mix up a can of RAL2011 in aerosol form for you. I tried Halfords before and, even though it's listed in their catalogue, they looked at me like I was crazy :D It may be known as Samba Van Orange or Beetle Orange in some places as far as I know.

Rich I have a couple of Louef MK3111 coaches which I was considering respraying to IR livery at some time. looking at them though I cannot see how you would take them apart. Any ideas? In relation to colour is it safe to assume that if I go to Halfords and ask for VW Brilliant Orange this would be the colour to use.

As I say this is a project on the to do list so any advice would be welcomed

Rob's spot on in his description of disassembling the coaches Kev, they are a bit like Lima coaches in this respect, and the corridor connection ends clip on. Also the Jouef coaches represent Loco hauled Mk111's and not the HST type like Lima and Hornby. If you decide to model an entire rake (EGV, Restaurant included) use Jouef coaches throughout as the roof ribs are a lot more prominent on these models then they are on the Lima Hornby versions, and a mixed rake would look odd.

If you want an off the shelf option the VW orange is a good match. As has been mentioned a motor factors may be able to mix some Ral 2011 in an aerosol which would be the authentic color used by IE. It's been said a million times before that shades of orange varied between vehicles when being painted after overhaul depending on who was mixing the paint. I've seen this in Inchicore myself in the past. Good luck with your project I bet they will be cracking.

Rich,

The worrying thing is that these Jouef coaches are still among the most accurate MkIII loco hauled models made(!) Apart from the dreadful wheels...

Robert that was my next questions. The wheels are terrible and derail frequently. I get the impression the wheels move across at times which takes them out of alignment with the rails. I assume I would have to change the bogies or wheels.

This is one of the reasons I have decided to experiment with these as I bought of ebay. My main problem is that due to space a rake of 4 coaches would be max.

This is a project I will move on very slowly, although i have dismantled one already and have give it a couple of coats of primer.