Avoca Mine Tramway

Rate this question

KMCE

Question

Just doing some research on the ore transfer between the mines and the DWWR line at Avoca.

A tramline with associated locomotive and wagons ran from the mines down to a transfer siding in Avoca station.  From my research, this ran from c. 1864 to 1900, and I have managed to source some photos through the NLI online archive (can't show the photos here now due to negotiations with NLI re copyright) but I have managed to source some photos of the 1872 3 plank wagon and tipping wagon I am currently making models of.

What would be nice is to develop a model with the tramline and ore loading in Avoca.  I have some details on the tram ore wagons & a sketchy outline of what the tram loco may have been. 

Where I am struggling is the gauge of the tramline.  I have some information which notes that 7' sleepers were used.  A tunnel under the road leading into Avoca carried the tramline which is still there, and there does appear to be some sleepers left, albeit seriously covered on debris etc.

1760656924_TramTunnel2.thumb.jpg.124358d47d817bfab15c6071b07cf409.jpg

Photo taken 03/03/2022.

Tunnel & some remnants of sleepers are still there a minimum of 120 years since it was last used which was impressive to view.

Would be nice to bring this back to awareness, so if anyone has info on track gauge of the tramway, it would be much appreciated.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 2

11 answers to this question

Hi ken,

Ernie Shepherd & Gerry Beesley's book 'Dublin & South Eastern Railway' notes on page 18 that-

They call it the 'Avoca Mineral Tramway' belonging to Mr Hodgson, it served the Ballymurtagh mine and the Ballygahan mine. The Hibernia Mine Company (inc 1792) held powers to Arklolw harbour and to construct a canal to Ovoca (seems it was called that also) but the canal was not built. The Wicklow Copper Mine Company (inc 1827) had people carry the ores to the harbour! The company opened the tramway around the famine time as the place de-populated, the gauge was 3'6'' and two wagons were drawn by horse initially. 

In 1859 the authors note that the Company took possession of the tramway and rolling stock which had two locomotives and 100 wagons, Mr Hodgson was retained to run the tramway until 1861 when the DW&WR took over......

Eoin

Eoin,

Many thanks for that - I had neglected to look to Shepherd & Beesley and was using an article published by the Mineral heritage Trust of Ireland (https://mhti.org/uploads/2/3/6/6/23664026/the_avoca_mineral_tramway_a_further_look_into_an_early_co._wicklow_mineral_tramway._waldron_a_et_al__2004_.pdf ) which also noted that the section  between Ballygahan and Arklow was 3'6". 

The run of the mineral railway to Avoca was sold to DWWR who used the trackbed for their own line with a new mineral line was installed away from the river.  A transfer siding was provided in Avoca, to which the tunnel above connected, the tramline being elevated above the rail line to allow easier transfer. 

What has raised this query is a photo I discovered on the NLI which shows the ore wagons on track to the South of the station and bridge (https://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000338942 ).  Any photo I have seen shows a twin 5' 3" line under this bridge, so I am a little unsure of how these ore wagons get to the South side of the bridge if they are 3'6" gauge, hence the query on the tramway gauge.  What is also interesting in the NLI photo is engine shed and turntable  - the turntable looks more like a glorified wagon turntable & it is noted that DWWR had responsibility for maintaining and housing the locomotives, so perhaps this is the tram loco shed?

Sadly the OSI historical maps do not show any tramlines .

I am in the process of building a model of the tram loco and wagons based on the 3'6" gauge, and from dimensions the wagons could have carried 2 tons of ore as noted by Shepherd & Beesley so these elements tally. 

1958625958_OreTramLocoWagon.thumb.jpg.5eb897b8782dfcb88a132c945c682e58.jpg

Assembled temporarily with pinpoint axles - these will need to be trimmed before fixing.   These are really small, the ore wagon being 22mm long - for context that drill in the background with the red collar has a 3mm shank.

The intent here is to develop a model of Avoca station with the tramline in the background with the tipping wagons on the transfer siding in the background.  I'll post more in the Layout section once I get an opportunity to make some progress.

Ken

• Like 6
  • WOW! 1

Confused for  a minute ,i assume you mean Fosters of Lincoln,post great war their smokebox works plate incorporated a tank as they produced these during the war.one small point the flywheel is too far out it should be right next to the bearing bracket.Funnily enough i spent most of yesterday of at brother in laws sawing wood with their Marshall portable,Andy.

The IRRS Journal mentions the Avoca Mineral Tramway in the following Journals..

History...Vol 1 pages 13-18, 6 pages 49, 296,  7 page 232 10 page 263 

Locomotives... Vol 2 page 78, volume 6 page 296, volume 7 pages 232 & 326/7 vol 9 page 82, vol 13 page 442

Derailment...Vol 12 page 233 1873 

Civil engineering... Vols 7 page 74, 7 page 282, 8 page 255, 9 page 82 

Closure... Vol 13 page 286 

traffic.... Vol 8  pages 175 & 255, vol 12 page 233

wagons & vans... vol 6 page 296

The Irish Railfans News has but one mention, Vol 18 no 2 page 17

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for that information Seagoebox. 

I was in the IRRS last night and have agreed to meet in the archives in the coming weeks, so that information will be very helpful in directing the search.

Cheers,

Ken

• Like 1

Fascinating - plus a fine piece from Eoin too. My  Railway Altas of Ireland (Hajducki), shows it as Hodgsons Tramway, with gauge at 3'6

Over here in SE England, there were many such tramways, often in obscure gauges like 4'. Aveling and Porter locos predominated - not surprising as they were built in Rochester. Essentially traction engines built to run on rails.

I even have a bit of archaeology in the garden wall separating us from our neighbour. The wall itself is breeze block, but every 12' is a vertical post which is a section of flatbottomed rail from a local tramway.

• Like 3