Layout Idea: GNR(I) Bundoran-Sligo line

Rate this topic

I'm still quite new to Irish modelling, but I've already started thinking about what sort of layout I'd want to build, given the opportunity of course.

I was trying to find a possible location that would allow me to model the GNR(I) and MGWR in one place, and allow for diverse traffic; now I think I've found something that might work well.

The Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway hoped to reach Sligo via a coastal route, but they would lose out to the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway. I think I'd like to model this unbuilt line in GNR(I) days. Does anyone know what engine classes would have been used on this line, had it been built?

If anyone has suggestions for books or information on this proposed line, I'd be very grateful.

Edited by RaglanRoad
  • Like 2

Almost certainly the lower rungs of the GN motive power ladder. P/PP class for passenger (possibly even J). AL, PG class for goods. Possibly C class railcars too, and a JT class for local trains. Or you could just use what actually ran to Bundoran, such as the odd U class. Try Sprinks 1970 SLNC book for background. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Funnily enough, my first ever Irish layout was based on what this line might have looked like had it survived into the 70s. I modelled ‘Grange’ in a box file, here with a 141 indeed. Poor quality image but all I’ve got ! 

5C9B40B1-D455-44DE-AAB5-63E9D4CDEFBC.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

"The Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway hoped to reach Sligo via a coastal route, but they would lose out to the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway. I think I'd like to model this unbuilt line in GNR(I) days. Does anyone know what engine classes would have been used on this line, had it been built?

If anyone has suggestions for books or information on this proposed line, I'd be very grateful."

RaglanRoad,

Somewhere at the back of my mind I recall a visit to, The Irish Railway Record Society, Heuston Station. There I viewed Station Plans for the proposed Bundoran to Sligo Railway. If you contact the Society, I'm sure they will be happy to assist you. Perhaps, you might consider becoming a member!  I assume, from your name "Raglan Road" that you may well be a resident of Dublin. Incidentally, I attended School on a road not far from Raglan Road. Ah, the memories!!

• Like 2

There was also the Mullaghmore harbour tramway (1820-1840) and Barium Consolidated's 2' gauge line (late 1920s) en route.

By the by, I may have to start and a thread on the bizarre interpretations of an Amazon Tablet. This morning, it replaced tramway with 'grandpa'! Not sure what planet it comes from, but if ever strange words come out in my posts, it is not me!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I think I’m correct in saying that, if the railway had been built between Bundoran and Sligo, as part of the original proposal to link Enniskillen and Sligo, there would have been no need for the SLNCR. A joint station in Sligo would have been served by three of Ireland’s railways, GSWR, MGWR and GNR. Just think of the modelling potential that would have been. We would need some more of Roderick Bruce’s lovely U’s and UG’s to provide the GNR train service, preferably the earlier versions.

Stephen

Edited by StevieB
Added some more text

I got round this by imagining that the Sligo & Donegal Junction grew out of a mineral railway from Garrison to Mullaghmore which with the growth of traffic and the limitations of Mullaghmore harbour led to an extension to Sligo Quay and a link with the M&GWR. In the early years of the 20th Century and the opening of the Donegal Railways Ballyshannon branch a further line was built from the north of Four Masters Bridge to the CDRJC  terminus but with a connection to the GNRI which wanted a .piece of the action. The S&DJR.' s  mineral traffic and that the majority of its shares were held by the Mining Company meant that it was profitable enough to to resist any attempts by the M&GWR, GNRI, MR  and GS&WR to take it over. The line's terminus being over the Border meant that it didn't get included in the GSR. After WW11 the line remained independent but after the closure of the Garrison tip in the North, the company persisted with steam (even purchasing several fairly new but redundant GNRI locomotives) However in the early 1960's the railway turned increasingly to Irish Rail to run its services rather than purchase its own diesels.

😉

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Old Blarney said:

I assume, from your name "Raglan Road" that you may well be a resident of Dublin. Incidentally, I attended School on a road not far from Raglan Road. Ah, the memories!!

Thanks, Old Blarney. Unfortunately, I am not Irish, but a Yank. I took the name from one of my favorite Dubliners songs.

Might these sources may help provide some historical background your project! 

https://vlex.co.uk/vid/enniskillen-bundoran-and-sligo-808242049

"The Irish North-Western Railway joined with the Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway Company to build a 36-mile line from Bundoran Junction (then called Lowtherstown) to Bundoran, which opened in 1866. Plans were made to extend the line to Sligo. The extension was authorised in 1862 but this never materialised. This would have opened up the Atlantic Corridor enabling people to travel from Derry to Limerick by rail. Many of the various private railway companies operating in the north of Ireland amalgamated in 1876 to form The Great Northern Railways Company (G.N.R.)."

https://discoverbundoran.com/historic-bundoran/railway/

• Like 1

George Mahon covered the Enniskillen & Bundoran Railway, The Enniskillen & Bundoran Extension Railway and the Enniskillen, Bundoran & Sligo Railway in the IRRS Journal in a long running series of articles "Irish Railways in 1860 to 1879, over 10 volumes of the Journal starting in Volume no 6, issue  no 30 Spring 1962 to Vol 15 no 95 October 1984.

His total contribution to all the Irish Railways in 18XX series started with the year 1853 in the Spring 1954 Journal, and he finished with 1879 in the June 1984 Journal, some 30 years later, producing an invaluable resource of the early days.

• Informative 1