Mogul's (Desk) workbench

Rate this topic

MOGUL

A new arrival this morning from Hatton's inspired me to get the finger out and dig out some models from the Attic.. Having a trunk order ready to go, I decided to add a pack of Dapols 40ft ONE line containers, which contain 1 Pink and 1 White container(they are a thing apparently, a quick check of matts place proved this to be so before placing the order) per pack.. At only £14 for two containers they seemed like a bargain!

Image of a ONE line dry box in white/dove grey livery from Matts place:

oneu0022881.jpg

However, there are a few issues with these, the tampo printing is a little blurry with the container numbers and large one on the side also looking a bit bumpy.. Also, the boxes are labelled as 45G1s, which is a 40ft HC, however the models are for 8ft 6ins(DV) units!

Nit picking a little perhaps, but when compared to @Arrans excellent ONE line offering(right height, and razor sharp printing!)  they are a little disappointing.. I have numerous Dapol containers(Maersk 40fts, P&O 45fts, ZIM 20fts, CMA 40fts, the list goes on) but these are the first "miss" unfortunately.. I haven't bought the Hornby ONEs yet, as 3 is probably enough for now, but does anyone have any pics of those for comparison?

Dapol ONE White.jpg

Dapol White ONE.jpg

dapol PINK ONE.jpg

dapol ONE PINK.jpg

Arran/Crails 40ft ONE bottom and Dapol 40ft ONE on top

Dapol and C rail ONEs.jpg

P&O FMBU 45ft showing dapol's normal high standard of printing

Dapol FMBU.jpg

Also discovered in the big box of containers while digging out the C-rail one box was a 20ft Bachmann that I started work on to convert it into one of the BLS bulktainers that are seen daily on IWT liners.. The work is a bit rough, but I hope to make new end doors and hatch covers from plasticard in the next few days to finish these..

Bulk box side view.jpg

Bulk Box roof.jpg

Bulk box end.jpg

Edited by MOGUL
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, MOGUL said:

I started work on to convert it into one of the BLS bulktainers that are seen daily on IWT liners.. The work is a bit rough, but I hope to make new end doors and hatch covers from plasticard in the next few days to finish these..

Bulk box side view.jpg

Bulk Box roof.jpg

Bulk box end.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this-  would love to get BLS Bulktainers to match the IWT liner- am sure @Arran is working on them!! 😀😀

Above looks a great start 👏👏

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Have been on the eye out for a Mulgrew Scania for a few months now, they have a depot in Ballycoolin I pass on my twice weekly trips to the office and have a very distinctive orange livery that stands out on the Road.. Hattons had a second hand one that was damaged, with the trailer loose from the metal base.. I haggle with them got me the damaged truck for £19, so I decided to take a risk on it..

Postie arrived with it on Wednesday morning, and a quick check revealed that the model itself was perfectly serviceable, and easily fixable with the issue actually being down to the screw securing the model to the base being threaded and nearly impossible to release! 

So now I am the proud owner of a perfect Scania, ready to hit the road with another load of Coca Cola from the Lisburn Plant to Lidl's RDC in Mullingar

Also, a deep dive into my parents attic revealed some of my old kit bashing attempts, despite over 6 years in storage, the damage seems confined to a loose ladder, a lost coupling and some shifted timber loads.. Hoping to details and decal these to bring them up to scratch!

Repaired and ready to roll.jpg

Muglrew as arrived.jpg

Tank wagon.jpg

Tank wagons.jpg

tanker rake.jpg

Timber end.jpg

Timber head boards.jpg

timber side view.jpg

Nir Ballast and Barytes.jpg

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Page 24 of rails through Tipperary shows a scene at Nenagh station in 1974 including two AEC trucks in CIE livery..

Atlas Editions produced a similar truck in Eddie stobart livery, and I picked one up for £7 on hattons a few weeks back.. https://www.hattons.co.uk/1292671/atlas_editions_4649104_po67_aec_ergomatic_6_wheel_tipper_eddie_stobart_pre_owned_very_good_box/stockdetail

A few spare minutes allowed me a chance to open it up and have a look.. Once the awkward triangular screws securing it to the plastic base were removed, it was actually very easily to take apart.. And the glazing, tyres and cab interior are all removable meaning no need for much masking while repainting..

Few pics of the disassembled model after painting the wheel hubs silver(were red)..

Does anyone know any more about CIEs AEC trucks, or have any pictures of them, trying to figure out whether to paint the cab in matt or gloss black paint?

Stobart Dis-assembled.jpg

stobart in parts.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, MOGUL said:

Page 24 of rails through Tipperary shows a scene at Nenagh station in 1974 including two AEC trucks in CIE livery..

Atlas Editions produced a similar truck in Eddie stobart livery, and I picked one up for £7 on hattons a few weeks back.. https://www.hattons.co.uk/1292671/atlas_editions_4649104_po67_aec_ergomatic_6_wheel_tipper_eddie_stobart_pre_owned_very_good_box/stockdetail

A few spare minutes allowed me a chance to open it up and have a look.. Once the awkward triangular screws securing it to the plastic base were removed, it was actually very easily to take apart.. And the glazing, tyres and cab interior are all removable meaning no need for much masking while repainting..

Few pics of the disassembled model after painting the wheel hubs silver(were red)..

Does anyone know any more about CIEs AEC trucks, or have any pictures of them, trying to figure out whether to paint the cab in matt or gloss black paint?

Stobart Dis-assembled.jpg

stobart in parts.jpg

Lovely stuff!

I've picked up one or two of these at similar prices with exactly the same thing in mind.

• Like 1

One slightly messy coat of black paint done on the cab and chassis.. Need to get some gloss paint to do a better second coat, add back in the lights with silver and get some broken wheel decals for the cab doors.. But happy with it so far, nice little lunchtime project..

AEC front side view.jpg

AEC front view.jpg

AEC painted side view.jpg

Edited by MOGUL
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1