Push Pull Formations

Rate this question

Question

Hi All,

I know that the Mk 3 sets, de Dietrich's, NIR Mk 2's with Hunslets and 121+PR set used on the Bray shuttle usually ran with the loco at the north end of the set. Does anyone know why the C class + PR ex-railcars usually had the loco at the south end :confused:

Thanks in advance. P

11 answers to this question

Possibly to reduce the build up of diesel fumes inside Connolly Shed, at one stage the sets were serviced at Connolly and the locos always weem to have been outside the shed.

Also at one stage all the PR sets were turned on the triangle at Limerick junction, it may have been something to do with moving the servicing to Connolly from the Fairview Railcar Depot as part of the DART up-grade.

Hi Mayner. Thanks for that but I remember that the 201 PP sets had the loco at the north end most of the time throughout the 70's. there always seemed to be 2 PP sets stabled on the viaduct sidings at Connolly with the loco at the station end in the middle of the day.

There's footage in this video of the push-pulls with a C class at the North end.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/805-CIE-trains-Dublin-area-1983-Beulah-Library-Roll-F51

I might have got it the opposite way round with the locos being serviced inside the shed with part of the train poking outside. The trains seem to have been turned when Fairview Raicar sheds were closed for re-building for the new electric trains.