Iain Rice - RIP

Rate this topic

Galteemore

Iain Rice's articles  inspired my modelling from an early stage.

I felt privileged to meet him at a convention in Christchurch about 12 years ago and actually touch some of his early models including "Camel" a Bodmin and Wadebridge 0-4-0St of 1834

• Like 1

Just heard we have lost one our most creative modellers, thinkers and writers, with the news that Iain Rice died on 8th October. There is a short obituary online, but others are sure to follow.

For me his books and articles were eagerly looked forward to as he always had something interesting to say and likewise in colourful prose too. One of his last works, his book 'Cameo Layouts', will I'm sure remain a standard text for many years to come.

Many thanks for all your ideas, Iain.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember now where I first encountered Iain Rice's writing but I know that I always enjoyed anything he wrote. His Wild Swan book "Locomotive Kit Chassis Construction in 4mm" encouraged me to try kit building for the first time and guided me as I stumbled along. He wore his knowledge and experience lightly and his light-hearted writing style was always eminently readable but also packed full of information and good practical advice. He was a huge guiding influence on this hobby that gives us all so much pleasure and satisfaction. Thank you Iain.

• Like 2