CIE K Class

Rate this topic

Flying Scotsman 4472

• 11 months later...
No problem Paul I'll be at the toy fair on the 18 February if your about will sort it out with you then

Hi Anthony,sorry for the delay in getting back, cant remember what that date (18 February ) was about, was it in Stillorgan, or Bray, I think I may have been snowed in, anyway, what do's one have to do to get one of those, pm me when you get the chance,

Paul

Edited by burnthebox

Anthony,

just a quick mod for even more realism - remove the centre lamp iron and fit a lamp or two! As far as I know Irish locos did not carry a centre lamp, except for Royal trains.- and there weren't many of them after the 1st world war, for rather obvious reasons. No doubt some of the more learned folk on the site can tell you what GSR codes were, and what colour its lamps were (apart from dirty, I expect, as most lamps were). I know the NCC ones but their Moguls looked a bit different.... The grey livery looks really well when clean, as usual a fine paint job..

Colm

Anthony,

just a quick mod for even more realism - remove the centre lamp iron and fit a lamp or two! As far as I know Irish locos did not carry a centre lamp, ...

...and remove the pair of irons on the smokebox door ring.

The handwheel is only correct for the CIE standard door (which nobody makes....unless "Weshty" is offering?) not the Maunsell door (which should have the rectangular numberplate carved off as well). CIE smokeboxes were also plastered with rivets!!

Looks great Anthony but shouldn't the smokebox and chimney be grey too..... or did some of these Woolich engines get black smokeboxes ..... I have 2 of these one in Irish livery the other is English Southern which I want to do inn grey like yours but I thought it should be all over grey ??? thanks DAVY

Scots mac, all grey locos had grey chimneys and smoke boxes, you're quite right - and this included all woolwiches. However, there benign exception to every rule, there were no more than maybe half a dozen locos painted right at the end of steam in the early 60s, with grey body colour and black smoke box and chimney. By that stage a small number of locos were all over black too.