Belfast Queens Bridge station

Rate this topic

Lambeg man

8 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Fascinating stuff.

The clip of the railway wagons, going by the NCC lettering style, is late 1920s, even up to mid 30s. The GNR vans in particular look very “modern” for this era.

I know virtually nothing about things that float rather than run on rails, so I can’t suggest whether the maritime clips are the same age.

Looks like a lot of the WW1 mass-built tramp steamers, there's a sail vessel there, and the cross channel steamers look to be of 1890s-early 1900s vintage. I would say this is the early 1920s. The 'Melmore head' freighter picked out in the footage was built in 1918, and sunk by a uboat in 1942, so its definitely interwar.

If I can pin down the liner in drydock can probably have a near exact date

Edited by GSR 800
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

11 hours ago, Dunluce Castle said:

I recently came across this footage on YouTube of the very line covered in this thread, but from an earlier period. It features a mixture of liveries so could be from anywhere between 1923 and 1930s? Very crisp imaging which is great for viewing. The clip starts at the one minute mark.

https://youtu.be/iXm7qNdZc3w?si=puWjxF7s5VlCl9qT

Well done for finding this, Nelson - a real gem, especially the shipping. My shipping books are not beside me, otherwise I'd have a go at identifying the Cross Channel ships which are about the size of the lifeboats on the Ulysses!

The shunter is NCC No.16 a 0-4-0ST built by Bowman Malcolm in 1916 at York Road. She lasted until 1951. (Info Bill Scott's Bible  and Northern Counties Railway Vol 3). The newer GNR vans were built 1922 on, so that helps date it?/

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

19 hours ago, Dunluce Castle said:

I recently came across this footage on YouTube of the very line covered in this thread, but from an earlier period. It features a mixture of liveries so could be from anywhere between 1923 and 1930s? Very crisp imaging which is great for viewing. The clip starts at the one minute mark.

https://youtu.be/iXm7qNdZc3w?si=puWjxF7s5VlCl9qT

Lovely stuff Nelson. So much to see!

• Like 1