Tayto Chocolate

Rate this topic

Darius43

4 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

The other Tayto (the Free Staytos) did a choc bar a few years back. It wasn't the rip roaring success they thought it would be, in fact I think its discontinued.

because the chocolate used in it was cheap and the bar was quite expensive for the time most people ended up buying cadburys and a bag of taytos which was better value 

recently came across an old kitkat bar with Irish rail branding and advertising from 1992

2 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

The other Tayto (the Free Staytos) did a choc bar a few years back. It wasn't the rip roaring success they thought it would be, in fact I think its discontinued.

As a retail manager at the time - i can tell you that it was a limited edition only for publicity purposes - i think maybe 100,000 one off run...made by Butlers chocolates on behalf of Largo (tayto)....we got 4 outers and they sold out in a morning - pure gimmick -still the country went nuts for them for a couple of weeks  - my wife has 4 of them in a bag in our freezer since....must be nearly 10 years ago now!

Edited by Edo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Niles said:

I remember Tayto sending in samples of said bars to the publisher I worked for about 10 years ago... I don't recall them going down particularly well!

I recall one whit describing them as 'tasting like a child's birthday party'.

The Damned released an LP called Strawberries.

The Damned's Strawberries LP released 38 years ago today : r/vinyl

The cover had a "scratch'n'sniff" facility - the released odour was described by the reviewer in NME, with 100% accuracy, as being like "a toddler had thrown up a whole packet of Opal Fruits".

• Funny 4

They still have them in Tayto Park — or, well, did.

They were surprisingly nice for something branded a “cheese & onion chocolate bar”, but suffered from, like what @Westcorkrailway said: awfully cheap chocolate. Apart from that, a nice little yoke to have and eat, but a bit too much of a gimmick to make them viable on store shelves.