Loughrea Branch 1970's Video

Rate this topic

@johnfromoz just sent me the link to this video. Some lovely shots. Video descripton says:

"Scenes filmed on the Loughrea Branch by Tony Price capturing the last scheduled mixed train (passenger & freight combined) in Ireland. Filmed from the early 1970s to shortly before closure in 1975. Film donated by Tony to the Dawson family."

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2

8 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

@johnfromoz just sent me the link to this video. Some lovely shots. Video descripton says:

"Scenes filmed on the Loughrea Branch by Tony Price capturing the last scheduled mixed train (passenger & freight combined) in Ireland. Filmed from the early 1970s to shortly before closure in 1975. Film donated by Tony to the Dawson family."

Fantastic stuff.

Good to see Margaret Whelan, the Dunsandle station supervisor, and Hubie Reynolds, the guard...........  All of these people will feature in a forthcoming book.....................!!

I can remember when I travelled on the line it even then seemed like something from a byegone age - and, in reality, it was. As the October sunshine lit up the carriage interior on the 2nd or 3rd last day, I saw graffiti scrawled in biro on the seat opposite me,

"FAREWELL TO THE DUNSANDLE EXPRESS"..............

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Unreal footage that. 

• Like 3