An N Gauge project

Rate this topic

Murph

OK , I'm thinking seriously about starting a small N Gauge project along the lines of Rorgyle by Brant Hickman. Been on me mind for weeks now and I've decided to make a start , Rorgyle is an end to end only 8 inches wide but I like the idea of a wider baseboard probably 4 foot long X 2 foot wide to run continuous trains with a bay platform at the station and a siding into a goods shed for storing wagons and coaches.  The canal lock and a bridge  DAPR-N Gauge Model Railway Scenery Building Kit - Narrow Boat Canal Lock/Gates - Picture 5 of 8and a Faller bridge are on thier way 41Ex-VkQQ3L._AC_SX425_.jpgTried to make a start on scratch building the lock keepers cottage this morning (DON'T ASK)  it was a disaster , don't remember if I mentioned it to ye but I only have one good arm, the left one,  no bicep muscle in right one due to muscle wastage (Accident years ago) so I'm restricted as to what I can do , OO scratch building is fine but N is out of the question, just too small even with glasses, me binoculars would have been better.  Anyway wish me luck lads , I'll keep ye updated , and NO don't mention the Rugby !!!!  😕  😕

Sláinte 

Murph

Edited by Murph
  • Like 5

Excellent - Brant’s layouts are little gems. IIRC he travels to shows by public transport hence the reduced dimensions. See also ‘Littleton Curve’

You may also wish to check out the ‘Kidmore’ series of layouts, by David Mitchell, and especially his tribute to Brant-  Kidmore Magna https://kidmorengauge.weebly.com/kidmore-magna-n.html

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Murph said:

Loving those Galteemore , need to get the baseboard first , problem is everyone wants to sell me an 8 X 4 sheet , they're willing to cut it (for a fee of course)  but then I'm left with the rest and we only have a Nissan Micra 🙄 , off to B & Q tomorrow to ask for any offcuts. 

I think B&Q sell smaller sheets, 6 x 2 and 4 x 2, check their website.  As to charging for cutting, the first 5 cuts are free and it is 50c per cut thereafter.

18 hours ago, Murph said:

"OO scratch building is fine but N is out of the question, just too small even with glasses, me binoculars would have been better"

I'm a n scale scratch builder. I would be unable to do it without my headband magnifier.

MODELCRAFT HEADBAND MAGNIFIER | Hand Tools | Tools | Catalogue | MarksModels

32396_big_1540564457.jpg.bcb7565ec104757073debb05fcb8a794.jpg

Edited by Kevin Sweeney
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I'm also looking at putting together a small N Gauge layout, but this one will be to hang on the back of the door.

If it helps, a circle of N Gauge track fits into a circle of about 506mm. Great for me, door is just over 700mm x 2000mm.

506mm is just under 20" in old money.

Keep me posted, we can be known as the N gauge crew lol

On 16/10/2023 at 1:04 AM, Ironroad said:

I think B&Q sell smaller sheets, 6 x 2 and 4 x 2, check their website.  As to charging for cutting, the first 5 cuts are free and it is 50c per cut thereafter.

Hell! Imagine cutting something for free. Where would the poor ol chippies be with that carry on. 😉

• Funny 2

On the subject of baseboard materials FYI, Woodworkers supplied precision pre-cut to your spec high quality birch ply sheets in 6mm and 12mm suitable for rapid modular baseboard construction. Ideal for constructing WMRC standard 4ft or 5ft baseboard modules. Glue with hot gun in 15mins, then paint 2" fibreglass tape across the joints with PVA, and seal the entire module top and bottom with domestic grey primer paint for permanent moisture resistance and stability free from warping. Lightweight board modules, easy to work on and transport. Grey paint also handy for gluing track bed materials, and scenics to the baseboard double sided tape for temporarily

http://www.woodworkers.ie

image.thumb.png.4042e40ba90b4d2e5846b50432d995e2.png

2" fiberglass tape PVA painted over glue joints for added strength and bonding

image.thumb.png.b04516c316408bbf2b5cddf486d41d76.png

Primed for life

image.thumb.png.049f97ec1eea4e6eedd78c8332231167.png

Sits on Plastic folding trestles 

image.thumb.png.95afd13edb53a1916c9f409737859b52.png

Using back scene boards as a support the baseboard can sit on its side at 90º for easy access and working on wiring, point motors, etc, rather than crawling under baseboards with tools and soldering irons.

image.thumb.png.31537fabdee051b5fb231818ae260e4f.png

Wiring becomes more comfortable when you can stand up and work on the underside of a baseboard vertically. The 6mm backscene board acts as a stand to sit the baseboard vertically on its side.

image.thumb.png.14b21cd1e79e8f8a796856a4fd5e1de7.png

PS: From past experience the material to avoid if at all possible for layout baseboard is chip board, absorbs moisture, unstable, sags when damp, and ridiculously hard to get track pins into. Not an easy materials to work with.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Handy Gort baseboard guides here and here and here, too.

Mine is going to be challenging as it has to hang on the back of the door, so needs to be as thin and light as possible, while not looking unseemly when hanging up.

Bsically, both running surface and underside will need to be covered while not in use.

To be brutally honest, I have some ideas, but they are not tried nor tested, and I have other projects in the way, first.

OOPS , B&Q visit got a 4' X 2' chipboard , very pleased until I checked it with track plan on anyrail track planner tingy and found out it didn't f*****g fit !!

Now found a local lad that has 8' X 4' sheets of OSB board for €19 and will deliver it free of charge as his shop is only 150 metres from our front door , and I know his dad who is another local musician , excess will do for raised track beds ,  looks like the jigsaw is coming out to play.

Made Faller bridge , first Faller kit I've done and very impressed with detail and ease of assembly.

Fingers crossed

Murph

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Murph said:

OOPS , B&Q visit got a 4' X 2' chipboard , very pleased until I checked it with track plan on anyrail track planner tingy and found out it didn't f*****g fit !!

Now found a local lad that has 8' X 4' sheets of OSB board for €19 and will deliver it free of charge as his shop is only 150 metres from our front door , and I know his dad who is another local musician , excess will do for raised track beds ,  looks like the jigsaw is coming out to play.

Made Faller bridge , first Faller kit I've done and very impressed with detail and ease of assembly.

Fingers crossed

Murph

Murph, OSB board wouldn,t be the most stable of sheet material. Really only used for rough site work. Just saying..........

OK its sorted, after some digging and head scratching I found that 4 foot by 2 foot IS fine so let the fun begin, Metcalfe Settle & Carlisle station building complete and canal lock with different levels done too. Water is 3mm Perspex painted with a dirty mix of light green and burnt umber brown and the reflection when turned over when its all dry (5 coats) is amazing,  must say the Metcalfe kits are superb and very easy if you take your time, lovely detail and very sturdy. Pleased so far , more stuff arriving today (A4 card for track bed) and tomorrow (Marks Models in Dublin more Metcalfe kits) and Amazon (track, steel ruler, and magnifying adjustable glasses)  Will upload some pics later when tablet has charged. Still yet to find it a name !!

Murph 😁

• Like 3

Right, big change, Murphy's Wharf has been retired, luckily I built it in sections and added them bit by bit so no damage done on removal from the man shed and the funeral took place in the spare room wardrobe yesterday. The N gauge project (still nameless) is being moved in today.  Metcalfe kits coming on grand, really pleased with the ease of construction and superb detail, 4 X 2 baseboard increased to 4 X 3 and will now have a side extension making it L shaped, idea is to run a main line oval with two added loops of increasing radius bends on left hand side for train storage and will run into a a branch line terminus onto the other board , this means one train can disappear into the tunnel , flick the points and a different train will emerge, raised track beds on main board started yesterday. 

Wish me luck on move to it's new home and promise photo's will follow,

Sláinte 

Murph 

• Like 4

Pics for ye...

Metcalfe Station complete

20231110_191040[1].jpg

Canal Corner

20231110_191104[1].jpg

Black Bull pub & Lock Keepers Cottage

20231110_191127[1].jpg

The revamped man shed

20231110_191140[1].jpg

Just about to add weeds round platform base , flower pots , a few advertising  signs , Hattons order arriving Monday with GWR spear fencing an a few more bits including a GWR restaurant coach still in a sealed box never used for €9 , Marks Models Dublin order on Tuesday with more Metcalfe kits , getting used to smaller size now so a test scratch build looks likely.

Sláinte

Murph

20231110_191206[1].jpg

Edited by Murph
Adding Text
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Fair dues Murph, you are flyin it, I hope you are not the plumber in the house though 🤭

HA HA , no I'm not thank god ,, we've a local lad fer all that , could do with a plasterer too , the hole in the wall at the back was to  accommodate a  GWR autocoach overhang on the tight bend of the old layout , luckily it wont be seen when the backscenes go on this one , they're  actually arriving today , the press shelf the layout sits on slides in and out on runners if I remove the loose side section so I've access to the back right now , so all the work there will be done first. 

• Like 1