Dremel wire wheels.

Rate this topic

Broithe

It seems that escaping wires, from the small wire wheels that are so handy for cleaning things via a Dremel, are a bit of an issue.

I've always been aware of the possibility and have been careful about eyes, etc.

However, over the last couple of days, I have had increasing difficulty in walking, due to very sharp and intense pain in my left heel. I had 'left things to sort themselves out', as points of thorns, splinters, etc., will often do, but things were even worse this morning - so, by means of some considerable contortion and a small bright Maglite torch, I was able to examine the underside of my heel.

Initially, I could see nothing untoward, but then I noticed a tiny, very slight gleam and, by means of a fine pair of tweezers, I was able to locate and grasp the end of the offending 'foreign body'.

This proved to be a wire from a Dremel wire wheel and it had gone in by most of the 6mm of its length.

It had, presumably, ended up in my sock somehow and then been pushed in as I walked around.

It does seem to be regarded as quite an issue by some people, especially with children and other animals around the place. It is suggested that running superglue into the hub will reduce the issue considerable, probably by reducing the work-hardening effect, rather than holding in broken wires.

Be warned - I was virtually immobile this morning.

Edited by Broithe
  • Like 3
  • Informative 6

On 15/11/2023 at 6:35 PM, Broithe said:

This proved to be a wire from a Dremel wire wheel and it had gone in by most of the 6mm of its length.

It had, presumably, ended up in my sock somehow and then been pushed in as I walked around.

Damn, that sounds painful. I'm wincing just reading this. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mmm, I've just got a small metal splinter out of a finger.

It wasn't causing much distress, but I decided to get it out as my tea was cooking.

It was a good bit smaller, probably 1.5 to 2mm long and possibly a bit finer than the 'big one' described above. 

The Dremel may not be responsible for this, as I don't remember using it in that manner since about August.

This one may be a result of sharpening some edge-tools a few days ago, with a bit of a resulting burr ending up embedded in me.

This one took an inordinate amount of digging out. Even my super-pointy tweezers were unable to draw it and I had to default to a more open-cast approach with a pin.

I expect to survive the resultant wound.

• Like 1

I remember in the late seventies I was working on a building site and I walked on a nail which went into my foot. So I was taken to the nearest hospital for a tetanus shot. When getting the tetanus shot, I was told "Don't tense up", but I did. The needle broke and the tip lodged in my lower regions. It was a painful day.

• WOW! 3

9 hours ago, spudfan said:

I remember in the late seventies I was working on a building site and I walked on a nail which went into my foot. So I was taken to the nearest hospital for a tetanus shot. When getting the tetanus shot, I was told "Don't tense up", but I did. The needle broke and the tip lodged in my lower regions. It was a painful day.

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww