Gaps between track

Rate this question

gm171 kk

Question

I have recently relaid all my track as it was made up mostly of old hornby track set track. This time I used become flexi track and there are parts where the locos just make a fairly loud thump when the pass over joints. These joints have small gaps cause by either cutting the rail too much or by the method I used to cut the track. I am just wondering how am I going to fix this problem as I'm afraid it will damage the wheels on my stock. Any help would be welcomed.

Also every time I change points to move from one ring of track to the other my trains just stop and the screen on my controller goes blank and starts to make a ticking sound. Help on this would also be appreciated.

Edited by gm171 kk

15 answers to this question

Get a tube of silver paste and put it into the gaps, let it set and sand it in with fine sand paper.

The second problem sounds like a short circuit protection issue. Get a multimeter and check for good continuity around your track circuits along the individual rails.

Like Boskonay said you need to put insulating joiners where the points meet on the crossing, that will stop the short occurring.

As for the gaps in the track, I would'nt worry about them damaging wheels it's only an issue if stock is derailing. It's a good idea to leave a small gap at a join to allow for expansion of the track in hot weather.

I have also read comments on forums where modellers cut gaps in the track to simulate the "click-clack" of real rolling stock travelling over joints in the track.

Can you post a pic of the gaps that you're worried about?

Edited by irishthump

If you look carefully at some layouts featured in the various magazines, you can notice some fairly alarming gaps at times. It matters less on a straight.

It is my belief that the hot/cold variation can be as much to do with the baseboard shrinking as the rail expanding.

That's a very big gap, can you slide the rail closer?

The baseboard can play a big part in expansion, if you use soft wood and ply the soft wood will expand and contract quite considerably. I use MDF as it is very stable and doesn't move very much.

To be honest I have seen worse on exhibition layouts!

I would be more worried about the height difference at the join in that last pic. You might try bending the ends of the flexitrack down a little then re-joining them, or maybe squeeze the fishplates with a pliers they look a little distorted.

I suppose I could try pull the rails together and it will leave a big gap somewhere and I can fill that in with a bit of spare rail, but some of them don't have gaps like in the last picture and that makes the worst sound when a loco is passing over it.

I will try that too irishthump.

Get a tube of silver paste and put it into the gaps, let it set and sand it in with fine sand paper.

The second problem sounds like a short circuit protection issue. Get a multimeter and check for good continuity around your track circuits along the individual rails.

What is this silver paste Railer and where can it be bought?