Crazy price differences!

Rate this topic

irishthump

Guys,

Was in Dublin yesterday picking up a few things in Mark's Models and I happened to pop across to Banba Toymaster on Jervis street (they have quite a large selection of Hornby stuff). While I was there I noticed they were selling the bog-standard Hornby decoder; R8429, for €25. Bit pricey thought I! Sure enough I went into Hamley's in Dundrum that afternoon and they are selling the same decoder for €15! You can even pick up the Sapphire from them for €30...

I know that some shops are a law unto themselves but I think a tenner in the difference is a bit rich!

Guys,

Was in Dublin yesterday picking up a few things in Mark's Models and I happened to pop across to Banba Toymaster on Jervis street (they have quite a large selection of Hornby stuff). While I was there I noticed they were selling the bog-standard Hornby decoder; R8429, for €25. Bit pricey thought I! Sure enough I went into Hamley's in Dundrum that afternoon and they are selling the same decoder for €15! You can even pick up the Sapphire from them for €30...

I know that some shops are a law unto themselves but I think a tenner in the difference is a bit rich!

Ever see the prices of the locos in the Toymaster off Jervis street? Eyewatering!

I'd be surprised if anyone has ever bought any hornby stuff from Toymaster on Jervis Street to be honest. They've been away with the fairies pricewise for years in that particular shop. I think it's customer base is more blazer & jeans Dad/Yummy Mummy and son Tarquin on his birthday, rather than discerning modellers like yourself. On the upside, all of their Revell paints are totally underpriced, so if you want to stock up on enamels it's a goldmine. Full stock too.

Didn't even know there was a Hamleys in Dundrum!

blazer & jeans Dad/Yummy Mummy and son Tarquin on his birthday

Didn't even know there was a Hamleys in Dundrum!

Richie. You must be reading too much AA Gill. A name like Tarquin would get the s*&* kicked out of you even in Wesley or Clongowes. ;)

Richie. You must be reading too much AA Gill. A name like Tarquin would get the s*&* kicked out of you even in Wesley or Clongowes. ;)

Instead of "Tarquin", I meant to edit that to read perhaps "Fiachra and Seomra" or other such turf-meets-internet-type names. For example - "As long as Doddy keeps the jeep porked up on de kurb, fiachra can run in a get his traynes. Take the platinum dorling, and keep away from the leisure suited fellows."

R

Instead of "Tarquin", I meant to edit that to read perhaps "Fiachra and Seomra" or other such turf-meets-internet-type names. For example - "As long as Doddy keeps the jeep porked up on de kurb, fiachra can run in a get his traynes. Take the platinum dorling, and keep away from the leisure suited fellows."

R

Ross O'Carroll Kelly!

R

. Atta boy!!