CIE Standard 20' Flat

Rate this topic

Mayner

I am trying to gauge the potential interest in a kit for the 20' steel floored flats use under the bagged cement, beet doubles and early container wagons.

The pattern maker who is a professional UK model maker has basically completed the masters for the MGWR van and I am looking at the flats as a follow on.

The kit will be suitable for 21mm & OO Gauge would combine a brass floor and 1 piece fold up underframe with whitemetal solebars, headstocks and buffers with etched brass brake gear and details.

Going on past performance we are looking on at least a 12month lead time from planning to production.

Close up patterns.jpg

Spring, axlebox, siphon vent patterns MGWR Meat & Horse Box.

• 4 months later...

The 20' steel floor flats sound good John, especially with 21mm and 00 being a feature so something for everybody. With Des's 42' and 47' flats in the pipeline along with Provincial Wagons things are really looking good. Have things progressed with the 22' flats John. I could see the 22' flats and some beer cages and kegs from Des appearing on lot's of layouts. The springs, J hangers, and axle boxes look really sweet, superb stuff John.

Rich,

The 20' steel floor flats sound good John, especially with 21mm and 00 being a feature so something for everybody. With Des's 42' and 47' flats in the pipeline along with Provincial Wagons things are really looking good. Have things progressed with the 22' flats John. I could see the 22' flats and some beer cages and kegs from Des appearing on lot's of layouts. The springs, J hangers, and axle boxes look really sweet, superb stuff John.

Rich,

I am concentrating on releasing the existing van kits and the MGWR 2-4-0 before doing further work on the flats.

I am looking at returning to 3d modelling in combination with lost wax castings for detail parts, as to date taken nearly 12 months to produce a set of masters and whitemetal castings for a simple van.

A few companies have shrunk kits designed for 7mm scale to 4mm, but new artwork and tooling would probably be needed going up to 7mm as the effects of undercutting become more pronounced, ill fitting parts, smaller panels bigger window openings and holes.

John

Here here. Firstly, well done John on the new venture, lovely looking details, and you're wise to take your time. You can see just how long these things take, what with unavoidable design iterations et al.

Richie, beer cages, yup. I've all the dimensions and prototype photos to get me going, and it's pretty much designed in my head and will be done.

Edited by Weshty

Here here. Firstly, well done John on the new venture, lovely looking details, and you're wise to take your time. You can see just how long these things take, what with unavoidable design iterations et al.

Richie, beer cages, yup. I've all the dimensions and prototype photos to get me going, and it's pretty much designed in my head and will be done.

I wouldn't doubt you Des. The next few years will be very enjoyable as we need freight models of this kind of standard.

Rich,

• 3 years later...

Test fitting the masters for the spring and damper assembly for the 22'6" & 20' Steel floored flats. Should be going off to the investment casters for the 1st stage of the casting process along with the 650 Class masters next week

IMG_2804.JPG

Close up spring patterns skeletal and steel floored flats.

Axlebox, buffer and vac brake castings by MJT.

IMG_2805.JPG

IMG_2806.JPG

The steel floor flats will be available in sets of 3 with OO Gauge wheels from late 2017

The skeletal in the 1st quarter of 2018.

Price to be confirmed.