Lorries for 40' & 45' Containers

Rate this topic

Kirley

PH designs do a nice Container trailer brass kit, have a look at... http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/Products/Trailer/trailer.htm.

It looks a lot more regular looking than Oxford combi trailer. I have one of the Oxford models which i reckon needs minor mods for a hornby/bachmann container to sit properly on. The twist locks project uneven and the 'combined' trailers tend to separate and not stay together! Oddy complex model for something that should be so simple.

Tom

Thanks Guys for the replies. I should have been more specific, looking for a Container lorry 80' -90's vintage. I did not know there were kits to build trailers and it looks the part alright but I was hoping there would be something off the shelf to suit this period -really surprised there's not.

Thanks Guys for the replies. I should have been more specific, looking for a Container lorry 80' -90's vintage. I did not know there were kits to build trailers and it looks the part alright but I was hoping there would be something off the shelf to suit this period -really surprised there's not.

There seems to be a surprising gap for suitable trucks between the 60s-90s. One of the Corgi or EFE flatbed Atkinson, AEC or Leyland artics might pass muster for a hacker picking up 20' containers from the railway.

No one seems to do a Guy Big J tractor unit, these were used by CIE up to the Scan. truck era, but it might be possible to graft the cab off a rigid onto an artic chassis.

Livery was simple black cab broken wheel emblem on the doors.

I just want a few Lorries/ Trailers for my Container Yard and was really disappointed at the lack of suitable RTR vehicles. Then I remembered some Tesco lorries I bought a long time ago so I took one out to have a look.

IMG_0271.jpg

This is one with the back removed and a 30' container placed on to see the effect.

IMG_0272.jpg

I know it's away under scale but in a yard away from 'proper scale' lorries I might get away with it. Any other suggestions most welcome.

IMG_0273.jpg