varying loco speed

Rate this question

UP6936

Question

For a while now, locos have been slowing down a bit when they enter a particular section of the layout. Then about 3-4 feet later they speed up again. The slow section starts at a set pf points. Any idea what could be causing it? I am running standard DC control if that is important

18 answers to this question

Dodgy fishplates? Try bridging the rail joints with a wire whilst the loco is on the track and see if you get a speed variation..

Are you using the point blades as electrical switches? They can be a bit iffy - try bending up the little bits that wipe on the bottom of the moving blades to make the connection better..

Yep it's a hornby. It's been in use for at least ten years now, and in noticeably worse condition than all my other points, I may just replace it

Replace them with some PECO points as those Hornby ones tend to wear out, fit some new fishplates and you will notice a difference in running also.

Check that there is no ballast getting between the contact wiper and the underside of the rail. Use an opened out paper clip to clean the space under the rail where the contact wiper goes in. Bent the contact wiper up slightly to give better contact with the underside of the rail. Check all fishplates are tight.