All nameplates and cabside plates soon available from 247 developments.

Rate this topic

Scots Mac

OT, but does the SSM J15 kit also cater for the superheated boiler plus Belpaire firebox version (186)?

OT?

A very good question. Superheated only, but you've just added another item to the "to-do" list. I WILL do it as a supplementary kit, given that I have done the same for the B4.

Hi all,

The 800 and 801 nameplates and numbers can both be seen in Cultra and all have blue backgrounds.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11088[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11089[/ATTACH]

Wrenner, thanks for the shout out. Merry Christmas ;)

I also have two variants of the three sets, one for the 800 dimensions and another for the smaller Royal Scot donor splashers.

Also do the J15 #186 and 184, as well as the WT #4.

Anything else, I can do as a metallicised transfer, Gold or Silver, with appropriate coloured background.

Hmmm, wonder why the letters 'GSR' on 800's plate were ground off?? Examined the real deal a few years ago and there was traces that they were there at one time.

Possibly because CIE took over?

And Macha not similarly treated? Mustn't have come to the attention of the lad with the angle grinder!

Some loco plates of the GWR had the build dates ground off as the GWR was embarrassed by elderly locos. Looking at Irish loco plates (Jumbo and Sambo) in the IRRS library, 'GS&WR' is ground off and a little 'GSR' tablet screwed on in its stead.

Hardly seems worth while as these two were unlikely to come into contact with the public much.

And Macha not similarly treated? Mustn't have come to the attention of the lad with the angle grinder!

You might be right on that one. Engines did slip the net on changes of ownership - I'm thinking of Great Western 58xx no.s 5802, 5813 and 5814 which, after nationalisation in 1948, somehow kept their original livery and "GWR" lettering on the side tanks for years after the GW had ceased to exist - so long in fact that the livery was still extant when the engines were withdrawn!

Looking at Irish loco plates (Jumbo and Sambo) in the IRRS library, 'GS&WR' is ground off and a little 'GSR' tablet screwed on in its stead.

Hardly seems worth while as these two were unlikely to come into contact with the public much.

The County Donegal did this to a limited extent with the 5A class 2-6-4Ts - originally numbered 1A, 2A and 3A because they were duplicate numbers for earlier engines, the "A" was chiselled off when the engines were renumbered.

Several points of clarification.

The letters GSR and GSWR were indeed often filed off; change of ownership precipitated this, but it seems to have occurred on a random basis.

NO cast plates ever had a black background under GSR or earlier CIE ownership, but see below, but in GSWR days they did prior to the introduction of lined black. Thus, the correct background for 90's plate at DCDR is black.

All Inchicore type plates should have a grey background for anything at all post 1917 or so, with the following as the solitary exceptions.

1. The few CIE locos which were painted black in the mid and late 50s - black.

2. The 800 class; both names and number plates blue, as on 800, until about 1952. After that, 800 remained blue while 801 and 802 were changed to red.

In all other cases, the same grey as body colour was used. My father recalls seeing some out shopped in late GSR and early CIE days with the surfaces of the lettering, numerals and plate rim simply sanded down to reveal bare metal, but most were painted a creamy light yellow, much the same as the colour CIE used for car side painted numerals. Sometimes rims of plates and numerals were painted a very light grey instead if cream, especially in GSR days.

On at least one occasion, I have seen a photo of a loco in CIE times with what looks a much lighter colour - possibly white - used on rims and numerals of cast plates.

It is important to note that once snails appeared, these were "eau-de-nil", not pale yellow, in other words a different colour to the cab side numeral.

Locos painted green in late CIE times all had painted numerals rather than plates, except the three 800s. When numbers were painted on green livery, as opposed to grey or black, they were in lined "Eau-de-nil", not pale yellow; i.e. the same colour as the snails on both locos and rolling stock, and carriage numerals.

As an aside, a small number of wagons - I think primarily horse boxes - got light green snails painted on their grey livery instead of the usual white... But that's one for wagon livery oddities....

The paintings on the front and rear of the book on GSR locos shows locos painted grey, with black number plates sporting red numerals, and black smoke boxes and chimneys. This is entirely incorrect.

Hope this is of assistance.

Edited by jhb171achill

OT?

A very good question. Superheated only, but you've just added another item to the "to-do" list. I WILL do it as a supplementary kit, given that I have done the same for the B4.

We might be able to sort something out, I have a couple of superheated 15s on the to-do list and had test etches prepared for the extended smokebox, firebox, spectacle plate and heavier main frames.

DSCF9006.JPG

DSCF9014.jpg

We might be able to sort something out, I have a couple of superheated 15s on the to-do list and had test etches prepared for the extended smokebox, firebox, spectacle plate and heavier main frames.

Jayz John, that's very tasty. Really looks the job. Yes, I'd be very interested in sorting someting out!

• 1 month later...