My new loft layout

Rate this topic

wiggy

2 Days of pinning track.

It's time I had a play

The through station did not go quite to plan as you can see. :(

Can't fit the whole train in the platforms.

So plan 'B' is that it needs a special announcement that for this station (haven't named any of my stations yet, I'm open to suggestions) you need to travel in the first 4 front coaches only.

Along with that is a special instruction to the driver that if he has a generator van behind him next to the loco then he has to pull forward 5 coaches. :tumbsup:

More pinning over the next few days.

I'll keep you posted.

Wiggy.

To be honest, as long as the train only has a loco sticking out of the platforms it doesn't really look too bad... You used to see that at a lot of stations in Ireland until they got their platforms extended :) And by the way, lovely footage!

Edited by 201bhoy

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great job Wiggy and definitely get a guard around the sides.

I put some two-inch Perspex round a friend's and he got his money back the first time that it caught his live steamer and saved it from meeting the slabs. Being clear you hardly notice it and re-railing is almost as simple as if it wasn't there. It'll take a fair curve, too.

EoqZ6.jpg

Worth considering..

I was looking at some in B&Q.

Did you have to cut yours to size and was it easy to cut.

Also how thick was it.

'Perspex' that's how you spell it.:tumbsup:

Ta,

Wiggy.

The stuff in the pictures was cut to size, but it's fairly easy stuff to cut yourself - either by a jigsaw, circular saw - or by scoring and snapping like glass, if it's a straight cut. Leave the protective film on until the last moment before you fit it.

It was 3mm, I think.

Ask for polymethylmethacrylate if you want to seem really knowledgeable..

If you can find one of these Olfa cutters they are very useful for grooving plastic sheeting prior to snapping along the line to break them. You pull it along to 'plough' a groove in the plastic. They're also useful for grooving to represent planking, etc..

57477-1800-23ww-l.jpg

Fooled you. :D

Only 4 running lines.

3 loco's are all on the same track.

Was thinking about putting 2 passenger trains on the same track as well, but that would be a bit to much to keep an eye on.

It was bad enough with 3 on the same track but good.

Wiggy.

Great work Wiggy there i a hell of a lot to be said for OO in getting things up and running quickly!

A bit like the saying about the American President who could walk and chew gum, its difficult to concentrate on more than one thing at a time:rolleyes:.

Using a twin throttle I find that its easy enough to keep two trains moving, but adding a 3rd things start to get a bit hairy the 4th uually ends in disaster.

An alternative might be to consist the train locos together like when you are double heading, so they all receive the same signal and should stop and start at the same time

I usually set a trap for myself and end up with a de-railment or crash by forgetting to re-set the points and a junction or loop. I gues ts either a case of going for some form of automatic control or employing more drivers and signal men.

I take it you just sand it down.

I will have a look in B&Q to see if they have one of those cutters.

B&Q-people might understand better if you call it a laminate cutter, there is a suitable blade for a Stanley knife, but they're rare to find. You can make your own, it's just a matter of ploughing a v-shaped groove. Olfa stuff tends to be found in art shops. Perspex will plane with a very fine setting, to chamfer the corners, and then a little rub down will prevent excessive laceration...

Guest hidden-agenda

Wiggy try a glazing merchant for perspex as they might be cheaper and just might cut it for you for a small fee if you explain what you want it for.

• 1 month later...