RPSI Research and Archive section

Rate this topic

Niles

Don't know if this has been posted before, but the RPSI have a range of historical journal material now on their site:

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/contents/#archives

This includes all issues of 'Irish Railfans' News' (published 1955-1973) and is also uploading the 1990s publication 'Irish Railway News'.

It also includes back issues of its own 'Five Foot Three' magazine, and some of the Irish News pages featured in 'Steam Railway' magazine over the past few years.

Worth a look.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but the RPSI have a range of historical journal material now on their site:

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/contents/#archives

This includes all issues of 'Irish Railfans' News' (published 1955-1973) and is also uploading the 1990s publication 'Irish Railway News'.

It also includes back issues of its own 'Five Foot Three' magazine, and some of the Irish News pages featured in 'Steam Railway' magazine over the past few years.

Worth a look.

What a superb site. All those magazines to go through. Awesome!

From the RPSI news page:

14th November - Society News:

50th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS ANNOUNCED

As many members will be aware, the RPSI was set up at a meeting in the Presbyterian Hostel in Belfast on 30th September 1964. This means that next year, the Society will be celebrating its 50th anniversary. A small committee was set up earlier this year to draw up proposals to mark this auspicious anniversary. It will be an occasion to celebrate the Society's achievements to date, to take stock of where we are, and to look forward to the next 50 years.

It is proposed that all RPSI events and operations during the year will be badged as "RPSI 50" occasions and a special, distinctive logo has being devised to signify this.

In addition, Charles Friel will be presenting a talk about the Society's first 50 years to audiences in Belfast, London and Dublin during the year.

Two prestigious dinners are also planned - the first in Dublin on Saturday 17th May which is the weekend of the international tour; the dinner will be open to all members, not just railtour participants. The RPSI was founded as an all-Ireland body and hence we are keen that the anniversary should be marked as emphatically in Dublin as in Belfast.

We are delighted to be able to announce that the main celebration will be a gala event on Saturday 13th September at Belfast City Hall, the use of which has been generously granted by Belfast City Council. The date has been chosen to coincide with the staging in Belfast of a Heritage Railway Association conference, and because it is so close to the actual date of the first meeting. The City Hall is an ideal venue, being located only a couple of hundred metres from the venue of that first tentative gathering, at which, incidentally, our President the Lord O'Neill kindly consented to be appointed as patron of the RPSI.

At present it is hoped to launch the year of celebrations with an event at Whitehead in March, of which more details will emerge shortly.

Marking this important anniversary is designed to help to raise the Society's profile throughout Ireland and to acknowledge the assistance of so many people and organisations. But it will also be an opportunity to thank the members for their support and to give all members a chance to celebrate the RPSI's achievements to date. We hope that among the specific outcomes will be:

* The recruitment of 50 new members (at least).

* The conversion of 50 existing members into working members.

Watch this space for more details as the events unfold.

With the overhauls of 131 and 171 starting there's a lot to look forward to in the next few years!

Heavens, aren't you guys all members of the RPSI anyway? I only joined the evening the Society was founded - I have photographic evidence that I was there!

AND the IRRS, which has an archive beyond your dreams!

Charlie Friel will be giving his 50th Anniversary talk in London on 16 October 2014.

Leslie

One magazine is reporting that, with focus now being given to 131, that may cause a funding problem in respect of 171's continued overhaul....

Heavens, aren't you guys all members of the RPSI anyway?

No.

AND the IRRS, which has an archive beyond your dreams!

I know. I'm waiting to see if, amongst the huge drawing collection that was transferred from Inchicore, there are any covering the "S" class 1938/39 Dundalk rebuilds.....

I wouldn't pay any attention to what the railway press has to say (with the possible exception of the Railway Magazine) as there has been a lot of contradiction in the last few weeks. An official announcement from the RPSI Board re 171 will be made (I would like to think) at the AGM on sat or very soon after.

As regards 131 work is continuing at a good pace with boiler work started, the majority of valve gear dismantled and the frames lifted off their wheels for examination of journals etc.

I know. I'm waiting to see if, amongst the huge drawing collection that was transferred from Inchicore, there are any covering the "S" class 1938/39 Dundalk rebuilds.....

Dear Mr Clare (if you're the Earl, please say so and I'll address you as "Your Grace")

The answer to this is YES. You can buy a set next Thursday in London, if you tip us off to bring a set.

If memory serves, Richard has done the VS, S, T tank and the B4 tender - he'll have them on display / sale on Thursday.

He's even done a A4 laminated reduced general arrangement drawing which looks nice on a layout room wall (£4 each, if memory serves).

Leslie

• 3 weeks later...

For those sufficiently interested due to a rather generous grant by GROW of South Antrim 171 has left these shores for the first time since arriving in 1913, for restoration by an external contractor to running condition and will be due back roughly about Christmas 2014 all being well.

131s restoration at whitehead is also progressing well with the loco now largely dismantled and fabrication of new bits has already begun. Thankfully no really nasty problems have been found (yet)!

....Richard has done the VS, S, T tank and the B4 tender - he'll have them on display / sale on Thursday....

The "S" wasn't on the list. It may yet still be in the pile of the rest to be discovered.....

This is the list so far:

attachment.php?attachmentid=11707&d=1391277807

Edited by Horsetan
List added