CIE Compartment Cars - What type of coaches?

Rate this question

Noel

Question

As a child I remember travelling on CIE coaches with six seater compartments (circa 1964-73), mainly the Galway line, but I think also on the Killarney/Tralee line.

Q - What type of coaches might these have been? Where they Laminates pre Park Royal, Park Royal, or Cravens? My Memory is a bit vague, but I don't think they were Cravens because I remember the sides and ends met at sharp right angles unlike the slightly rounded cravens. The doors were at each end of the carriage, rather than into each compartment which had internal sliding doors to the corridor on one side of the coach.

Here's an image of the Ballina branch train during a loco change over, from '86. Can anyone identify the coaches? Are they 1904 and 1442? There's certainly no van...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CIE-018-Ballina-1986-Eire-Rail-Photo-/271585175964?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item3f3bbce99c

A Park Royal and a Brake Standard Generating Steam Van, with the van against the further A class.

Hi Folks

Could anybody please advise me are these coaches Laminates or Bredins or another? They look very like the coaches I remember travelling on in the 60s.

Thanks

Train%2C_Boyle_station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_2862724.jpg

They have a vague resemblance to LMS Staniers

Edited by Noel

Hi Folks

Could anybody please advise me are these coaches Laminates or Bredins or another?

From the right: a 21xx Composite (not a 100% sure of the number but looks like it could 2132?), a 24xx Buffet Car, another (I think) Composite and then three Cravens. The first three coaches are Bredin derived stock dating from the 1950s/early 60s.

The etched sides are designed to fit to the 60' Dapol Stanier body shell. I found that I was simplest to remove all the plastic between the window and then use contact adhesive to glue the sides in place. The first lot of Buffet Car and Corridor Standard sides and the TPO ae winging their way South should be available in October.