Opinions please

Rate this question

Dave

Question

Hi lads,

I am looking to take on an agency for a point motor with a difference, manufactured by Minx Microdrives in the UK. What I like about these point motors is they are surface mounted but very small. The point motors are a linear actuator and the travel can be set and time of travel can be adjusted. If the point gets jammed or sticks the controller gives an audible alarm.

The controller can be mounted locally and be DCC controlled and controlled remotely.

The DCC chip just plugs into the control unit.

Your feedback would be great!

Link to there site http://www.minxmicrodrives.com

Here's some info from their leaflet

• The pack contains 2 actuators, 1 controller, 2 connecting ribbon cables, 2 brass rod connectors, fixing screws, comprehensive instructions and wiring diagrams to operate 2 points, 2 signals or 1 of each.

• The actuator is about the size of a large postage stamp, 32mm x 25mm x 12mm high. This is close to prototypical size and allows easy and realistic baseboard surface installation, disguised under scenery or buildings . It can also be mounted underneath and is a geared motor drive, not a servo (we found these erratic during extensive testing and unable to give consistent auto calibration and the alarm function).

• The controller has 2 channels, which control points or signals in any combination; each channel has calibration and operating modes with status LEDs and external switching relays with position indicators. It will operate on 12 – 25 volts AC or DC, regardless of polarity .

• Calibrating the “throw” distance of the point blades is easy: you just press a button on the controller, which operates the point actuator and then measures and remembers the range.

• In “run” mode the point can be operated either from the controller or a remote switch, the position of which is self-correcting.

• Point operating speed can be adjusted by the preset potentiometer, the approximate operating range being <1 – 5 seconds.

• The controller sounds and flashes an alarm if the point fails to operate properly, eg if there is an obstruction or the point blades are damaged. An LED on the actuator also flashes. Pressing the operate button on the controller returns the point blades to their original position, releasing the obstruction.

• A solid rod (supplied) connects the actuator to the point tie-bar or blade(s). No springs, compensation or omega loops are required. The point is therefore mechanically locked in either position.

• A change of throw distance due to temperature, repairs or wear is easily catered for; you just re-calibrate the point using the buttons on the controller and it takes < 20 seconds!

• In signal mode, the range of more gentle movement is manually adjusted by a pre-set potentiometer. Once set and operating, the same potentiometer is adjusted to give varying amounts of mechanical “bounce”.

• Each channel on the controller has two independent auxiliary relays which will switch up to 5 amps @ 30VDC, one for live frog polarity and 1 spare. The relays pass through a dead zone and “fail safe” if the power to the controller fails. This gives interlocking with accessories eg. signals with points and avoids shorting the traction supply out in some circumstances.

Minx Micro Drives.jpg

14 answers to this question

Hi lads,

I am looking to take on an agency for a point motor with a difference, manufactured by Minx Microdrives in the UK. What I like about these point motors is they are surface mounted but very small. The point motors are a linear actuator and the travel can be set and time of travel can be adjusted. If the point gets jammed or sticks the controller gives an audible alarm.

The controller can be mounted locally and be DCC controlled and controlled remotely.

The DCC chip just plugs into the control unit.

Your feedback would be great!

Link to there site http://www.minxmicrodrives.com

Here's some info from their leaflet

• The pack contains 2 actuators, 1 controller, 2 connecting ribbon cables, 2 brass rod connectors, fixing screws, comprehensive instructions and wiring diagrams to operate 2 points, 2 signals or 1 of each.

• The actuator is about the size of a large postage stamp, 32mm x 25mm x 12mm high. This is close to prototypical size and allows easy and realistic baseboard surface installation, disguised under scenery or buildings . It can also be mounted underneath and is a geared motor drive, not a servo (we found these erratic during extensive testing and unable to give consistent auto calibration and the alarm function).

• The controller has 2 channels, which control points or signals in any combination; each channel has calibration and operating modes with status LEDs and external switching relays with position indicators. It will operate on 12 – 25 volts AC or DC, regardless of polarity .

• Calibrating the “throw” distance of the point blades is easy: you just press a button on the controller, which operates the point actuator and then measures and remembers the range.

• In “run” mode the point can be operated either from the controller or a remote switch, the position of which is self-correcting.

• Point operating speed can be adjusted by the preset potentiometer, the approximate operating range being <1 – 5 seconds.

• The controller sounds and flashes an alarm if the point fails to operate properly, eg if there is an obstruction or the point blades are damaged. An LED on the actuator also flashes. Pressing the operate button on the controller returns the point blades to their original position, releasing the obstruction.

• A solid rod (supplied) connects the actuator to the point tie-bar or blade(s). No springs, compensation or omega loops are required. The point is therefore mechanically locked in either position.

• A change of throw distance due to temperature, repairs or wear is easily catered for; you just re-calibrate the point using the buttons on the controller and it takes < 20 seconds!

• In signal mode, the range of more gentle movement is manually adjusted by a pre-set potentiometer. Once set and operating, the same potentiometer is adjusted to give varying amounts of mechanical “bounce”.

• Each channel on the controller has two independent auxiliary relays which will switch up to 5 amps @ 30VDC, one for live frog polarity and 1 spare. The relays pass through a dead zone and “fail safe” if the power to the controller fails. This gives interlocking with accessories eg. signals with points and avoids shorting the traction supply out in some circumstances.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15311[/ATTACH]

Dave, could you change that STAMP for one with a harp or something like that,

What would be beneficial to me is to hear your views on them having tried them out on a layout giving the pros and cons. That would convince me into trying them more than any video or instructions. With your practical experience and giving a positive recommendation would be a deciding factor.

What would be beneficial to me is to hear your views on them having tried them out on a layout giving the pros and cons. That would convince me into trying them more than any video or instructions. With your practical experience and giving a positive recommendation would be a deciding factor.

Thanks Kieran, I have to say I really like them. I like the fact the controller stays locally to the point and can be switched from a control panel and from DCC. On big layouts as you walk around you have local control over points rather then having to go back to a control panel.

Also the heavy duty relays for switching live frog and an aux, so many point motors fall down on this.

Have you used them yourself yet?

I am getting in two sets this week to try on the exhibition layout, so I will know more in a couple of weeks and report back.

Thanks for the feedback lads :tumbsup:

Have to say, the weathered unit looks very smart! Any idea on prices?

They will be sold in a pack of two point motors and a controller with cables, you will need a power supply which I will have one to go with it. Price per pack is €58 and a power supply will be €15. The DCC chip is €19

They are expensive, but they are a premium quality product.

Thoughts please!

... Price per pack is €58 and a power supply will be €15. The DCC chip is €19

They are expensive, but they are a premium quality product.

Just my uneducated tuppence. Look nice specs but personally I'd prefer under board motors rather than surface mount. Very expensive though and probably not feasible for large layouts with 50+ points. I like the idea of manual switching rather than rely on DCC. There is something informative about looking down at a bank of levers which give instant feedback as to how a road is set, rather than fiddley DCC display one accessory at a time. I am about to embark on fitting 30+ point motors and feel that cabling to under board motors direct to banks of lever switches is both cost effective and very functional. Just personally speaking, I don't like the idea of DCC for controlling point motors on a 'play' layout. I can appreciate how useful it might be on commercial and exhibition layouts though.

Just my uneducated tuppence. Look nice specs but personally I'd prefer under board motors rather than surface mount. Very expensive though and probably not feasible for large layouts with 50+ points. I like the idea of manual switching rather than rely on DCC. There is something informative about looking down at a bank of levers which give instant feedback as to how a road is set, rather than fiddley DCC display one accessory at a time. I am about to embark on fitting 30+ point motors and feel that cabling to under board motors direct to banks of lever switches is both cost effective and very functional. Just personally speaking, I don't like the idea of DCC for controlling point motors on a 'play' layout. I can appreciate how useful it might be on commercial and exhibition layouts though.

Hi Noel, I too like manual switching over DCC control. with a big layout they can be very effective giving the operator local control at the points using the point controller as the operator moves around the layout controlling trains. They can also be switched manually from a control panel giving you the best of both worlds.

I have a customer currently looking at them for a large layout with 40 plus points on it.

Also with the point motor surface mounted on the baseboard makes for much easier installation, and the motors can be easily hidden.

They won't be for everyone, but thanks for your honest feedback. It makes it much easier for me to make a decision to invest in stock.

How many point motors can the controller manage, and how much per additional point?

Each controller switches two point motors, so 10 motors require 5 controllers. They are sold as a pack of 1 controller and 2 motors. I did ask if they had any plans to bring out a controller that would control multiple motors but due to the size of the relays they use they are staying with just 2 motors per controller.