Converting an Class 33 to an A Class

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

7 answers to this question

Anyone on here ever converted / transformed / changed / remodelled / battered a Class 33 into something like an Irish A Class, it's supposed to be possible. !!'

I contemplated it, but the chassis and drive are so poor (i.e. old style) I decided against. Superficially the main changes that seem needed were changing the cab windows to two instead of one, add a buffer beam, and change the profile of the area where the front meets the roof. They would then look a more like an A class if not scale and differences in the sides. Had the chassis been better quality it might have been something I'd have tried.

I contemplated it, but the chassis and drive are so poor (i.e. old style) I decided against. Superficially the main changes that seem needed were changing the cab windows to two instead of one, add a buffer beam, and change the profile of the area where the front meets the roof. They would then look a more like an A class if not scale and differences in the sides. Had the chassis been better quality it might have been something I'd have tried.

Thanks Noel for that, would a DCC Class 33 make it any easier,

Anyone on here ever converted / transformed / changed / remodelled / battered a Class 33 into something like an Irish A Class, it's supposed to be possible. !!'

The class 33 is Bo Bo bogie, and the A class is a Co Co bogie. It would be a complete waste of time to be honest. Where did you hear that it was possible, just curious.

Rich,

Thanks Noel for that, would a DCC Class 33 make it any easier,

DCC wouldn't have anything to do with the cosmetic changes, and you would still be left with Bo Bo bogies. If (and for the life of me I couldn't imagine why) someone was prepared to do something like trying to dress up a class 33 as an A class and was prepared to ignore anything below the chassis a Heljan class 33 would be a better donor.

Rich,

silver fox A class kit with Hornby Railroad class 55 chassis (shortened) would be a much better idea. kit Comes with everything you need to make a nice model. Mine is dcc now and it runs lovely. Works out at a reasonable price and you get the pleasure of building.

The class 33 is Bo Bo bogie, and the A class is a Co Co bogie. It would be a complete waste of time to be honest. Where did you hear that it was possible, just curious.

Rich,

Hi Rich, & thanks, I'm not basing my ideas/hopes on anything other than a wish as we have all seen what wrenneire has wit the Lima A Class & the C Class, it's more hope / wish than than plan, I'm looking very seriously at what Silver Fox has at the moment, the A Class looks mega,

Edited by burnthebox