looking for freight activity

Rate this question

spudfan

Question

I'll be in Mullingar this summer can anyone suggest places to go to view freight activity?

Is the permanent way yard in Portlaoise worth a visit?

Is it worthwhile making the trip to Kildare station?

As an aside the disused platforms and lines at Mullingar station would make an ideal stabling point for the proposed luxury touring train. It would be nice if they put that disused line back in service for freight and the touring train.

9 answers to this question

Although it is a good idea the downside is irish rail would not put money into the storage sidings. Many points are broken and most sidings would have to be ripped up.They might upgrade the line to the turntable and engine shed,or if the luxury train company invested in Mullingar(which would make me mullingars happiest young man)However they are going to have to pay some sort of attention to the disused station as it seems ready to collapse.As for freight im not sure but the pw yard did not dissapoint me!You might(all though unlikely)see a PW or ballast train at mullingar.last time i saw a ballast train was about 5 months ago so not sure if they will be around any time soon!:)

Edited by GSR 800

I dont remember it being to hard to get to.you might need permission.When i asked they said it was fine,but just be on the safe side if you want to get up close.Freight very rarely if ever comes to mullingar.I only found out about the ballast train when i saw it standing on the railway bridge,to my joy hauled by an 071 class which hadnt been seen in mullingar for a long time.Otherwise mullingar is a few DMUs passing par the RPSI tours and the odd timetable mix up ending up in two angry drivers and one of them having to bring their train back to the station to one of the other tracks.everything seems to happen on mullingars railway bridges!

There has been no freight on the Sligo line since 2008, so don't hold your breath! And chances are, if there's been ballast trains operating over the line in recent months, their work is probably done now and so are unlikely to make further appearances for a while.

If you're based in Mullingar and have access to a car (or if you take Bus Éireann route 70), pop down to Athlone, where you'll get to see the liners and timbers passing through. You'll also be able to see ICR services splitting there, with the separated portions then heading onto the Galway and Westport lines.