Ultimate DCC throttle.

Rate this question

irishthump

Question

Dave, how much does that ecos system ballpark at? Any tips for where it might be found most economically? Looked at website but don't have prices. And it addition to the main command station you would need as many boosters as the layout requires plus Cabs… Did I miss any other costs for the system?

You don't need boosters unless you have a very large layout and running 10 or more locos at the same time, the Ecos puts out 8 amps which is more than enough to cover most layouts. Also have a look at the Roco Z21 system, it does nearly everything the Ecos does for half the price, its a simple system to use and programming a loco is very easy, if your not keen on the smartphone app you can plug in most throttles into it.

I got mine from here http://www.scograil.co.uk/roco-10820--z21-digital-control-system-2365-p.asp

Its the cheapest that I can find as Gaugemaster are the agents in the UK and they sell it for £360!

The hand held Mobile Control II cabs are €285 each. Nice looking unit, expensive, but not sure about the ergonomics of a rotary knob instead of buttons or a slider. For a large club layout the ESU system could turn out to be extremely expensive due to the need for say one base station plus two remote cabs (600+285+285 = 1170). Or a layout with base station plus one remote cab (600+285=885). Ouch! On the other hand an Audi A6 is worth what an Audi A6 is worth and a Ford Mondeo is worth what it is worth, so trying to compare low end DCC systems to top end doesn't make sense.

Having wired in / bespoke throttles is less a 'thing' these days. DCC options like the Roco or even Sprog can get you up and running with low cost and the ipad / phone you already own.

With smart phones in everyones pocket these days, you can have ten throttles on a club layout, just by everyone taking out their phones.

You don't need boosters unless you have a very large layout and running 10 or more locos at the same time, the Ecos puts out 8 amps which is more than enough to cover most layouts. Also have a look at the Roco Z21 system, it does nearly everything the Ecos does for half the price, its a simple system to use and programming a loco is very easy, if your not keen on the smartphone app you can plug in most throttles into it.

I got mine from here http://www.scograil.co.uk/roco-10820--z21-digital-control-system-2365-p.asp

Its the cheapest that I can find as Gaugemaster are the agents in the UK and they sell it for £360!

Have to say I saw a demo of the Roco Z21 system on YouTube and I was seriously impressed. Tempts me to sell on My Lenz and get it for the 'will I ever get to build it' layout. Smart phone throttles is a big plus for me, it means your mates can come over and have an operating session with you without forking out a fortune on throttles and they're wireless.

Having wired in / bespoke throttles is less a 'thing' these days. DCC options like the Roco or even Sprog can get you up and running with low cost and the ipad / phone you already own.

With smart phones in everyones pocket these days, you can have ten throttles on a club layout, just by everyone taking out their phones.

Hi Stephen. Thanks. Yes, I already have old iPhone working on our layout as cabs and it works a treat, but personally I just don't like touch screen for throttle control. No tactile feedback and cannot be used unsighted unlike a knob, slider or buttons. But its effectively a free wireless cab so can go walkabout. I find I use the iPhone very rarely now and use the NCE power cab with multiple plug in access points around the layout in an inexpensive phone cable daisy chain. Just prefer one handed blind access and tactile feedback despite the cost of the extra NCE power cab. Noel

PS: The iPad also works!!!

PS2: Pity the wiThrottle app doesn't also use the iPhone volume buttons for throttle as well as the touch screen slider.

was just looking back at the original post. it actually is very very cool. This guy has a live feed in his loco straight to his full scale model loco control. Tons of work there !!! playing with trains on another level