side rods

Rate this question

controller

Question

IMG_4519-4.png Hi , all . I have attached a photo (I hope) of a loco, I got from a work mate, many years ago. I has no working parts inside, so I have it propelled by a motorized tender. I have fitted it with a headlight and I hope to fit it with a firebox light. The only thing I need now are drive rods to finish the job. I have looked on a lot of sites, but I am afraid I will buy the wrong size. I would be grateful if some of you real modellers could offer some advice.

Regards, Controller.

IMG_4521-2-1.jpg

8 answers to this question

You could use a tiny drill bit to open it up a bit,but be very careful as you could crack the rod

Sorry GSR800;-

Do not use a drill bit on your brand new Alan Gibson links, no matter how careful one is the drill bit will not go in centred and will mess up the links with loads of slop. There is a tool for this work called a 'Broach' - sets can be got from Expo Tools

also

looking at the model I think the screws are pretty big and the Gibson links may not allow for that size hole! a remedy for this is to solder on large washers centred over the rod holes and then open up the holes to size.

Eoin

Thanks Eoin, I have been on to Alan Gibson and the smallest links they have are 24+24mm. I am thinking of changing the distance between the wheels to 24+24 to suit the links. It might be possible. Thanks for the idea about the washers and the ' Broach'.

Joe.