DCC sound speaker comparison.

Rate this question

irishthump

Question

I recently installed sound decoders in a couple of my MM 141's and I thought I'd post this little video comparing the sound from different speakers.

Both locos contain the same Loksound decoders and are both loaded with the same soundfile. The volume settings are identical on both.

MM142 is fitted with a bass enhanced speaker that can be bought from several suppliers. I removed the back from the housing to allow it to fit into the body without any surgery to the loco.

D678A12F-619C-43F3-9543-4A44A472608A_zpsbfqw1thc.jpg

MM165 used a 4ohm speaker from Maplins and was a perfect fit into the cradle on the loco frame. These speakers are available from several other suppliers but I just happened to see them for sale in Maplins and picked up a couple at €4.50 each. The part no. is ABS-224-RC which is a 4ohm speaker but they also sell an 8ohm speaker (part no. ABS-216-RC) which is also suitable for the LOksound V4. (Both speakers will also work with Zimo decoders.)

AE4B2BBA-A7CB-4C0D-BEEC-88982170B90B_zpszo86vmr9.jpg

One thing with this speaker is that you have to secure it into the cradle either through the screw holes provided or with some sticky mastic or Blu Tac. Otherwise the speaker will rattle like crazy!

Anyway here's the video, decide for yourself which sounds better. But I think the Maplins speaker as a but more low end to it.

Edited by irishthump

16 answers to this question

Thanks for taking the time to make that clip and post it. Very interesting.

I noticed the horn at the beginning of the 142 segment sounded different to the horn at the end of the 165 segment.

If you got a chance sometime to post a clip with the braking sound on stopping and the flange squeal. If you are programming the LokSound yourself, are you able to extract the other channels from the MM recordings on ESUs web site (e.g. whistle, station announcement, brakes, etc).

Well done IT, for my tuppence worth, I don't have any knowledge whatsoever regarding the techno ends of sounds in loco's but I did think the 142 had a better, small but better sound than the 165 especially when the 165 horn sounded !! But that's only a small issue, I'm sure,

Thanks for taking the time to make that clip and post it. Very interesting.

I noticed the horn at the beginning of the 142 segment sounded different to the horn at the end of the 165 segment.

If you got a chance sometime to post a clip with the braking sound on stopping and the flange squeal. If you are programming the LokSound yourself, are you able to extract the other channels from the MM recordings on ESUs web site (e.g. whistle, station announcement, brakes, etc).

I stand corrected on the horn sound! I programmed different horns for each engine so that explains the difference in tone. You're right in that any individual sound can be removed and switched with another from the ESU sound library. The sound file is the 071 file and I just switched the engine sound.

I'll do that when I get the chance, Noel. I presume you mean the braking sound as the engine comes to a stop? I deliberately filmed the locos standing still and used the manual notching function so as to give an accurate comparison between the two speakers.

The Maplins speaker running free air make's a big difference that's the way I run my sound locos. Try attaching the Maplins speaker to the inside of the roof below the the grill (don't forget to remove the grey plastic covering the underside of the grill) and sealing all the way around it with blue tack or copydex to stop any noise cancellation that makes a big difference. The sound from the top of the speaker fires out through the top grill and the underside of the speaker fires into the loco body but the speaker must have an air tight seal around it.

The Maplins speaker running free air make's a big difference that's the way I run my sound locos. Try attaching the Maplins speaker to the inside of the roof below the the grill (don't forget to remove the grey plastic covering the underside of the grill) and sealing all the way around it with blue tack or copydex to stop any noise cancellation that makes a big difference. The sound from the top of the speaker fires out through the top grill and the underside of the speaker fires into the loco body but the speaker must have an air tight seal around it.

Although it's not in the picture I sealed around the bottom of the speaker with black mastic. But I will try mounting the speaker directly to the inside of the shell.

As I mentioned I bought a couple of "sugarcube" speakers and I installed one into B141 to see what they're like.

Here's how the speaker arrived.

3C1BFDE0-383E-419C-9558-D87477431D3A_zpsjk8dx7qm.jpg

As you can see it comes in 2 parts, the speaker itself and the plastic baffle which fits to the back of it. The baffle MUST be attached, I tired it at first without it and the sound was dreadful!

The baffle was attached with a tiny amount of CA glue and care has to be taken to get a good seal.

5E83F2AF-D04C-403F-A50C-97EB20E375F6_zpsuvccprwa.jpg

The wires are then soldered tot the 2 connections on the back. When assembled the overall dimensions are 15x11x11mm and is an easy fit inside the body of B141. I simply fixed it to back of the cab detail with some mastic tape.

81EF4BC0-0BFD-4F47-9C8E-D6E21ECD1116_zpsvshatvyy.jpg

So here's a video.

B141 is fitted with the sugarcube speaker, while B165 has the Maplins speaker which I reinstalled by fixing it to the roof of the loco rather than using the speaker cradle as Anto suggested. I then sealed around the edges of the speaker with mastic tape to make it as airtight as possible. Ypu can compare with the first video to see if you notice any improvement. Once again the soundfile and volume settings are the same for both speakers (ignore the different horn sounds!).

But I have to say I'm impressed with the sound from the sugarcube speaker, it definitely has more low end than the other speakers.

Oh, and just for Noel there's a shot at the end of the video showing the brake squeal function on the Loksound decoders!

Edited by irishthump

Well done IT, I have to say I had to keep my eyes closed when listening to those two, as I feel movement may ! give a better albeit more ralistic sound to the motors, I don't know if this is making sense but I think the 141 has the lead, but only just on this test,

Well from the sound of that clip, B141 has a far more dynamic sound, deeper and more resonant and far less tinny. No comparison.

Cheers, Weshty. I was thinking that myself, but I've been listening to so many different speakers it's getting to the stage I can't tell the difference anymore! Nice to get some opinions.

Well done IT, I have to say I had to keep my eyes closed when listening to those two, as I feel movement may ! give a better albeit more ralistic sound to the motors, I don't know if this is making sense but I think the 141 has the lead, but only just on this test,

I know what you mean, I'd like to show the locos running round the layout but you'd never get a decent comparison if they were moving!

141 all the way. Lovely rich tonality and impressive clarity

This has me considering replacing all the other speakers with the sugarcube ones. They seem to sound the best of what I've tried so far and since they're suitable for N scale you'll never have an issue with installation space.

I'm also going to try wiring a couple of these speakers together in the larger locos, such as a 201 and see how it sounds.

but I've been listening to so many different speakers it's getting to the stage I can't tell the difference anymore! Nice to get some opinions.

IT this is the way they go ! The car go's eeerrrruuummmm, the plane go's zzzzuuurrrrrmm, the train go's CHOOCHOO, CHOOCHOO,