correct shade of orange ?

Rate this question

brianmcs

Question

It could be your monitor settings... it looks fairly close to me.

could be, but even if the settings have too much blue/red/green, I am still going to notice a difference between one and the other, as it is the difference in shade that I am noticing, not how close the monitors representation of the actual colours is.

Best bet would be one of those paint sample scanners though

monitor settings , camera settings , variations in light , printing problems, human eyesight .

Would not the scanner help to reduce the subjectivity and variations caused by the above ? Especially since Glenderg can take it back to source ,ie. , the sample of the original paint he has.

Glenderg's comparison is very interesting.

Just to throw another angle on it. Sometimes accurate colours do not scale down from full size of 4mm scale with predominantly indoor lighting. Pigment reflects light, and the colour of the light is also a factor (e.g. white balance in photography).

Some model colour schemes lend themselves to slight adjustment to make them "look right" when scaled down. Also shadows just don't work the same in artificial light. Viewing angle is also a factor, as most models are viewed top down at a 30-45 degree angle, whereas prototypes are predominantly viewed side on hence different light reflection.

I guess the correct shade is the shade that looks and feels correct for an owner.

Edited by Noel

My intention is to get it scanned in the Crown Shop in Fairview, get a sample made up, and even though it's decorating paint, put it on a donor MK3 and see how it looks. I know that their scanner has a lower resolution than the one in Baldoyle, so if the Fairview sample/scan doesn't work, I'll go further to Baldoyle to nail down the code. I'll also try and make up a sample to match from known acrylic shades with an eye dropper and keep a log of the mix.

The sample comes from a part of the coach beneath the pneumatic door opening rod, so was covered in gunk, but is in remarkably good condition, and shows no sign of fading or sun bleaching. I got other smaller samples and there is no colour variation across the range.

R.

Has anybody got anything, loco / carriage with a colour that remotely resembles the colour required something which is getting the approval of all that could be brought to the scanner & get a code that might be suitable, !!! ducking down now,

Glenderg has already pointed out that he has a colour sample from an IÉ Mk3 coach that he's going to get scanned.

I thought he ( Glenderg )said this:

The sample comes from a part of the coach beneath the pneumatic door opening rod, so was covered in gunk, but is in remarkably good condition, and shows no sign of fading or sun bleaching. I got other smaller samples and there is no colour variation across the range.

I thought he ( Glenderg )said this:

Exactly. The gunk was cleaned off, and the paint wasn't faded or bleached, so it's a perfect sample. He's compared it to other samples he has, and it compares favourably.

Pretty straightforward...