GNR(I) S Class Locomotive.

Rate this question

Kirley

Question

16 answers to this question

Actually it's my daughter many years ago.

Sorry, can't resist this - is she a better modeller than you?

With girls spending time (well, they used to) sewing, weaving, knitting, embroidery, cake decorating (The Boss painted locos on two anniversary cakes for the IRRS London and very good they were - the paintings, the cakes weren't bad either) - they ought to make good modellers?

Leslie

The IRRS publish a full set off the GNR(I) drawings from the archive. You could build a new one from them.

I'll put Richard McLachlan in touch with you....

Bear in mind that the drawings are for the original "S" (and may include the drawing produced in Dundalk, dated 1925), but I don't think Richard has managed to locate any drawings produced for the rebuilds in 1938, i.e. the form in which 171 exists today.

....Going back to 171, anyone know why this loco is the one which features on the RPSI's crest?

Probably because it was their flagship?

Edited by Horsetan

It would be interesting to compare 171 with the Beyer Peacock drawings to see how much of the original was retained in the 1938 renewal of the Class.

In Irish Steam O S Nock describes the renewal as new locomotives rather than rebuilds.

Like the GSWR/GSR renewal of the Coey 321 Class 4-4-0s in the 1920s the renewal of the GNR locos was so extensive that they were practically new locomotives.

It's the 1938 drawings I've been after for ages. There were, as I understand it, changes to the valve gear as well as the frames, so I want to make sure that I have got it right on my TMD/SSM kit build.

It occurs to me that the TMD/SSM kit already provides the later bulkier frames as an option (which I have used), so Terry McDermott must have had access to some drawings for the rebuilds / renewals.

Do the 1938 drawings still exist? Well, Richard hasn't stumbled across them yet, but fingers crossed.

Edited by Horsetan