Steam Train breakdown - Dart lengthy delays on Sat

Rate this topic

Noel

The barrier staff at Connolly weren't impressed to say the least!

I'd guess the Saturday shoppers stuck on the Dart, and stuck in Greystones were not impressed with 2hr shutdown either. Looking at Facebook it seems they got another steam loco for today's schedule.

Haven't written one letter, GSR, and nor would I... as a former volunteer myself of many years! :-)

Volunteers in any such organisation have a lot to do and contend with (for no pay) and I know that had anyone directly criticised anything I did, the answer would have been very unprintable indeed!

In money-strapped days, the RPSI got a job lot of cheap maroon paint, and I meself applied it to carriages which (a) needed a repaint, and (b) were never painted that way in traffic!

My point in making posts here is quite simply to provide historical accuracy for modellers, as the actual colour of something is the first thing that anyone notices about it. Perpetration of an incorrect livery in preservation will in the long term be misleading to anyone who aspires to accuracy in appearance....

Haven't written one letter, GSR, and nor would I... as a former volunteer myself of many years! :-)

Volunteers in any such organisation have a lot to do and contend with (for no pay) and I know that had anyone directly criticised anything I did, the answer would have been very unprintable indeed!

In money-strapped days, the RPSI got a job lot of cheap maroon paint, and I meself applied it to carriages which (a) needed a repaint, and (b) were never painted that way in traffic!

My point in making posts here is quite simply to provide historical accuracy for modellers, as the actual colour of something is the first thing that anyone notices about it. Perpetration of an incorrect livery in preservation will in the long term be misleading to anyone who aspires to accuracy in appearance....

Ahh only joking John, But you! Painting coaches Innacuratly? Heresy! Ah no it's all good. The RPSI have been keeping steam in Ireland for half a century, some livery innacuracies can be accepted. As for Cultra...grrr:mad:

Edited by GSR 800

I was looking on the RPSI website and it says the address has PO box 461! Coincidence or what? I have fond memories of no. 4 as it was the first steam loco I had ever seen. I remember when she had reached Enfield i asked one of the members where the loco was going(she was going to run round the train. When I saw her coming back tail first,I asked him why she was "the wrong way around"!:rolleyes: of course of was only a young in then, not to long ago! Anyway he told me there was nowhere for her to be turned. I went home thinking this fella didn't know much, that there was one at Mullingar, I didn't think, at the time that Mullingar was about 30 miles away!

Edited by GSR 800