A few livery oddities in 1989

Rate this topic

Firstly, from the darkest cupboards of the Catacombs, "Galway" liveried Mk 2's at Cherryville.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next, one of the extremely few - possibly the ONLY - Cravens.......image.jpg......which was given IR "set-of-points" logos. They weren't there for long, either.

Withdrawn dining car, recently acquired by the RPSI at the time. Next to it is ex-UTA diner No. 87, wearing nicely applied, but totally incorrect NCC livery. The vehicle was built in 1950, a couple of years after the NCC had ceased to exist, and in traffic never wore anything other than UTA green, and latterly NIR maroon and grey. It's often referred to as an NCC vehicle - it isn't. Shows how an incorrect myth can arise even within an organisation devoted to preserving the past - hence my interest in correct liveries....

In case anyone accuses me of criticising those volunteers who painted it thus, I was one of them! And the NCC window guards inside if aren't original, but perpetuate further the idea that it was an NCC vehicle.... I have to accept responsibility for that too. Jhb171senior designed them based on memory of actual NCC equivalents, and at the time they were needed to protect the bar stocks from unwanted attention while stabled overnight as Whitehead or (worse) the old Belfast Central Services Depot...

image.jpg

These caravan things were common on the CIE system in the 70s and 80s, but were normally painted, somewhat inexplicably, in the Dublin bus navy and cream scheme. This little beast was maroon. Maybe someone wanted to pass it off as NCC! Unusually, the flat wagon is BLACK.

image.jpg

80 class and Castle class sets were a mixture of colours in 1989 just like 20 years earlier in the dying days of the UTA. Hilden Halt produced this...

image.jpg

And finally, correct liveries! Correct blue etc on 85, correct post-1955 green on the carriages. May 1989, Farranfore.

image.jpg

I don't think so, Jason, though obviously the Mk 2's did. Apart from this coach shown, I never saw any other Craven with any form of markings at all, nor am I aware of any. Naturally, this is the best forum for someone else to provide a photo like you describe.

The coach shown did not carry these logos for long. I understand they were removed - possibly they were only applied as an experiment.

I don't think so, Jason, though obviously the Mk 2's did. Apart from this coach shown, I never saw any other Craven with any form of markings at all, nor am I aware of any. Naturally, this is the best forum for someone else to provide a photo like you describe.

The coach shown did not carry these logos for long. I understand they were removed - possibly they were only applied as an experiment.

Thought their was a good chance i was wrong,couldn't quite make out what was on the coach in the video.

Somehow I had forgotten that the Galway liveried MkIIs had grey roofs. Few other MkIIs seem to have had this applied. There is a lovely photo of 5230 with the grey roof in IE livery in Michael McMahon's Railway Rambler on p90. This is a standard class vehicle.

The only others that I have seen with the grey roof are IE MkIII first class or composite vehicles so I'm uncertain as to the intended significant of the grey roof was/would have been or whether this was an aborted intended livery change?

It seems that the windows on the Cravens were deeper than the MKIIs leaving very little room for the IR set of points logo. These look odd as they are set too close to the bottom of the windows and maybe equally odd if set any lower.

JB, do you happen to know the numbers of the Cravens and diner?

The coach behind 95 is in suburban livery with NIR logo to the front and Suburban logo to the rear. Not sure which routes this livery was intended for though

Edited by DiveController

• 4 weeks later...
Ooooooh! Love TPOs! :x

Any idea of the number, JB, or location/year with those high finials in the background?

With the presence of an NCC 'brown van' and the style of signals, I would suggest the location is the Downpatrick railway bay platform.

Probably this vehicle.

Inch Abbey, 17/03/2016

See also http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/content.php/323-Travelling-Post-Office

Edited by Dhu Varren