Current Irish Coaching stock

Rate this question

heustonconnolly

Question

Hi Lads

just a Few quick questions,Does the Dublin based DD ever go to inchicore ,or is it always stabled in connolly,Im nearly certain the DDs have never been in inchicore ,but they probably have ,have they?

How long is it ,If ever to a Mk4 refurbishment ,not even a refurbishment but something like fitting plug sockets and carpets ,or just a good clean ,I think these coaches have a lot of potential ,even though the seats are hard id rather them more than any DMU

any finally ,will mk4s ever be used alongside the DDs on the enterprise in the near future ,i heard mk4s are going to be used on different routes ?

18 answers to this question

Rumours of Mk 4 stock being used on the GNR have abounded as long as they have been about, and seemed to reach fever pitch while the DD sets were being refurbished. To date, obviously nothing has come of it, and under all current plans there is no likelihood of it happening whatsoever, any time in the near future. Having said that, future changes of policy might alter things...!

Hi Lads

just a Few quick questions,Does the Dublin based DD ever go to inchicore ,or is it always stabled in connolly,Im nearly certain the DDs have never been in inchicore ,but they probably have ,have they?

How long is it ,If ever to a Mk4 refurbishment ,not even a refurbishment but something like fitting plug sockets and carpets ,or just a good clean ,I think these coaches have a lot of potential ,even though the seats are hard id rather them more than any DMU

any finally ,will mk4s ever be used alongside the DDs on the enterprise in the near future ,i heard mk4s are going to be used on different routes ?

The mk4 interiors are looking a little tired ok, seats seem ready to be reupholstered, need new carpets and the return of curtains needed. There is cost cutting and then there is cutting off ones nose to spite ones face by aggravating some customers. But I find the mk4 sets the most comfortable on long trips, especially compared to the 'camber of torture' plastic seats on the 22k. I hope the mk4 sets are refurbished and not taken out of service on the Dublin-Cork route I regularly use. My bones wouldn't cope with a 22k all the way to the rebel city. :)

Hi Lads

When the DDs were first delivered they were all hauled to Inchicore and they were tested up to 100mph on the Cork line before they entered service on the northern line.

The DD stock have been to Inchicore over the years for wheeling turning, one DVT had to hauled there by 227 around 2004 after it was dragged from Connolly to Clontarf with it's parking brake still on.

When the Malahide estury viaduct collapsed in 2010 the set stuck in Connolly was hauled in Inchicore for storage to free up space at the Connolly VP. While there is was used during the Mk3 EGV testing. Also during the EGV testing the short maintenance spare DD set based at York Road was hauled to Inchicore early one Sunday morning again for EGV testing.

During the recent Enterprise refurb loco 233 hauled two DD standards from York Road to Inchicore for internal work and livery repaint as NIR were short of space and behind schedule.

They have re - upholstered some interiors (fresh carpet & seat covers) but think it has been CityGold coaches so far. Same design im afraid. Seeing as all the GC cars have been re-painted recently, i'd say it won't be long before they start doing the other stock..... unless they are leaving the re-sprays to the graffiti artists..... :tumbsup:

The mk4 interiors are looking a little tired ok, seats seem ready to be reupholstered, need new carpets and the return of curtains needed. There is cost cutting and then there is cutting off ones nose to spite ones face by aggravating some customers. But I find the mk4 sets the most comfortable on long trips, especially compared to the 'camber of torture' plastic seats on the 22k. I hope the mk4 sets are refurbished and not taken out of service on the Dublin-Cork route I regularly use. My bones wouldn't cope with a 22k all the way to the rebel city. :)

It's funny, I find the seats of the 22ks way ahead of the Mark 4s, which are as hard as a board. Just goes to show you cant please everybody.

Enterprise stock beats both easily though in my book. Mind you I havent been on any of the refurbished sets.

I first saw the DD coach at Inchicore during the 150th year open day before they actually entered service. In recent weeks I have travelled in a refurbished DD set, a 22000 and a Mark 4. As far as passanger comfort and ambience is concerned I would rate the DD as best, followed by the 22000 and finally the Mark 4. Of course others may totally disagree!

It's funny, I find the seats of the 22ks way ahead of the Mark 4s, which are as hard as a board. Just goes to show you cant please everybody.

:) Must be younger bones

Enterprise stock beats both easily though in my book. Mind you I havent been on any of the refurbished sets.

Agree its been a while since I've been on the enterprise, but it was very comfy and a big step up from City Gold service.

I'd agree too that the DD are a few steps above anything else. The old Mk3s were better than the ICRs or Mk4s. I'd rate the ICRs as more comfortable than the Mk4s, yes the seat are a little hard but the ICRs ride the rails better. The Mk4s are still rough even after their ride quality modifications to their bogies.

I'd agree too that the DD are a few steps above anything else. The old Mk3s were better than the ICRs or Mk4s. I'd rate the ICRs as more comfortable than the Mk4s, yes the seat are a little hard but the ICRs ride the rails better. The Mk4s are still rough even after their ride quality modifications to their bogies.

Cravens for me! All of the others are like pressure cookers - ALWAYS far too hot inside (I'm told that this is to please the free travel elderly brigade!) and you can't open the windows! A 2600 appears now to be the only train in Ireland with opening windows!

Cravens for me! All of the others are like pressure cookers - ALWAYS far too hot inside (I'm told that this is to please the free travel elderly brigade!) and you can't open the windows! A 2600 appears now to be the only train in Ireland with opening windows!

cravens, far too modern , I preferred a motley collection of park royals and laminates , steam heating either fully on and like a sweat house or freezing, preferably with a dodgy battery and dynamo ( non-TL) lightening , such that you are plunged into darkness at every station stop. ah the late 70s on the Limerick to rosslare run

for a 6'4" bloke the 3+ 2 bench seating has never been surpassed, as for seating in ICR 22K, OMG, can it get any worse

I believe the title of the thread is 'current Irish coaching stock' JB! haha

Though Cravens will be out and about this Sunday I guess.... :)

Very true indeed, Warbonnet!!!

I'll retreat quietly back into the 17th century where I belong! When steam was steam, and trains were trains.... and there were still carriages about which the Stone Age settlers had left behind....

It's okay JB, I'd take a Craven over all of them too. :)