Brighton show, 25% Irish Broad gauge

Rate this topic

David Holman

Before anyone gets too disappointed, this was a small show, last weekend, with just eight layouts, however, two of them were Valencia Harbour and Arigna Town, which we also think represented two thirds of the broad gauge Irish layouts currently being exhibited.

I'd love to be proved wrong but with Richard Chown no longer with us, it is likely Castle Rackrent will not be seen for a while, while Paul Green's S scale layout does not seem to go out at the moment. So that just leaves Ballyconnel Road as the third.

So, tell me I'm wrong, because it would be great to see some more 5'3, in any scale!

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

What about Murphy Models locos?

I did a Murphy 141 using Gibson P4 carriage wheels. 2mm axle is standard thankfully. No real hassle. Looks much better on 21mm!

Did a scratch chassis for the SilverFox/DCKits G class as a torsion wire prototype - a bit like csb's without the frames!

A Terry McDermott/SSM J15 with Sharman wheels also posed no problem - must get around to finishing it!

• Thanks 1

I saw some 21mm track recently, (not IRM btw) and was frankly blown away by the difference, especially with a bubble sitting on it. I'll definitely convert should the prototype I've seen result in crossovers and the like.

Not sure how exhibition friendly my efforts would be sadly. Every time I go to an exhibition/show, there seems to be some drama of my own making that requires I look "like a zombie" :D from stress and have to check stock in a cupboard or assembly hall...

4 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

The proper broad gauge makes such a difference, though I suppose not financially accessible to all!

Out of curiosity, I presume it would be simple enough to convert SSM, Leslie's, or Murphy stuff to 5ft 3 scale? 

What about Murphy Models locos?

I know Murphys stuff has been manufactured with 21mm conversion in mind

Not sure how easy it is but I have seen a couple of 141's running quite happily on the broad gauge track

Which reminds me we must get Lough Derg back up and running again, nice little 21mm layout.

Very, very sharp intake of breath there.....

12 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Out of curiosity, I presume it would be simple enough to convert SSM, Leslie's, or Murphy stuff to 5ft 3 scale?

Almost all SSM Locos, coaches and freight are suitable for 21mm.

Edited by Weshty

Good to see that there IS interest out there. No wonder 21mm looks better than 4'1...

For anyone doing 7mm scale, it really is no more difficult than 32mm gauge. Loco axle available, wagon/coach axles easily adaptable, C&L bullhead track only needs a 36.75mm gauge. Plus there are plenty of kits available too.

With all the high quality RTR out there, it is no surprise folk stick with what they know, but there is even more satisfaction to be had in doing your own thing and being different. Well, I would say that, wouldn't I?