Omagh Goods Yard

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Thank you. Don't know if anyone noticed but the openings in the goods store building were increased slightly. I measured two of the original Goods Store arches on Friday evening and had to increase them by 2mm each side to allow me to use the Wills Scenic brick arches. 

Tony

Great to see such progress on the layout, starting to look like a railway the good shed certainly looks impressive and should give your railway a lot of its character. I too am a fan of the Wills Scenic sheets though they are challenging to use on a large structure.

John

I'm delighted to see this layout progess the way it has! Well done! I know there was a lot of frustration around space, and the OO/n gauge debate, but it's great that you have stuck with it, and more importantly that you are enjoying the hobby and the challenges once more. Keep up the good work!

5 hours ago, dave182 said:

I'm delighted to see this layout progess the way it has! Well done! I know there was a lot of frustration around space, and the OO/n gauge debate, but it's great that you have stuck with it, and more importantly that you are enjoying the hobby and the challenges once more. Keep up the good work!

I guess I just don't take it so serious any longer, its just a bit of fun. Thats how I got through the rut

3 hours ago, David Holman said:

Always good to get a few mock ups in place to help visualise the scene.

Yes, indeed. 

However, the 3mm birch ply will eventually be glued together to form a firm base and will then be clad with Wills Scenic sheets.

Tonight, I started connecting the baseboard sections and I have running locos to several sidings. More to follow.......

• 2 weeks later...

Was working on the plywood for my back scene last night. Since the layout may never be out of the shed or on the exhibition circuit I was going to screw the back scene boards directly to the shed walls behind the baseboards and sit tight 10mm below the back of the baseboard edge. It means that I can still easily flip the baseboards up on their edge to install point motors and access the wiring for repairs etc.

Anyone envisage a problem with this method?

Edited by GNRi1959

• 2 weeks later...

Have been absolutely blown away by the detail and quality of the buildings that Warb has done on his layout using Wills Scenic Sheets. So much so that my feeble efforts using Metcalfe printed card look so amateurish. Will be rethinking the use of Wills sheets as a more suitable material.

Since the arrival of the UG and U Class locos at Omagh I have felt quite disheartened with my efforts to give them the opportunity to travel distance. Shunting is tedious and set my mind thinking of calling a halt to what I'm doing and possibly expand to allow movement around the entire shed. Would be nice to see these beauties travel. Hence, time for a rethink.......

Edited by GNRi1959