Dundalk, Newry & Greenore Railway

Rate this topic

Colin R

1 minute ago, Dhu Varren said:

If it is of any help, in the IRRS journal for Autumn 1964, in 'Coaching Stock of the NCC', these coaches are described as seating 5 1st class , 8 2nd class and 24 3rd class passengers. There was a lavatory to each compartment, but no corridor. Apart from the 1st class, I just can't figure out what the seating arrangements could have been 

Tto take a rough view on this for the first class there would have been five first class seats with the sixth missing to give acces to the WC, it may have been that two WC could have been back to back ie the 1st and the 2nd Class WC's  only occuping half the width of the coach, the 2nd class compartment may have been 3 seats one side and 5 on the other.

As for the third class compartments I would guess that as each compartment only held 8 seats there must have been space for the door to the WC and also some seats removed to give access via a 3rd compartment

Colin Rainsbury

There is a real shortage on the carriage and wagon records of the LMS NCC. Remember mention on IRM about 3/4 years ago of plans by the IRRS to publish the unpublished manuscript by JR Currie of Volume 3 of his NCC History. Anyone out there can help?

Edited by airfixfan
  • Like 1

The First Class compartment was next to the guard's section and had a lavatory section all to itself - possibly full width of the coach, based on other LNWR coach layouts.

Third class was normally six across on the LNWR. I guess that as it is for a boat train, they nominally allowed a little more space - 5 one side and 3 the other with space for access to the lavatory in each compartment. The layout allowed each 3rd class compartment to have its own lavatory, half the width of the coach. Second Class had a lavatory next to a third class one.

This is detailed in the HMRS article mentioned earlier.

I guess the only way to be sure about all this would be if LNWR archives can show more information.

Edited by RichL
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Broithe said:

This post, from a Facebook page that I got roped into, might be of interest - it should be visible to anyone.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/109619289726001?multi_permalinks=877520252935897&hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen

Google doesn't find the picture anywhere else.

Would it have travelled as far their ferry terminal on the North Quays in Dublin?