Rpsi 2012

Rate this topic

Hoping to get some footage of it before it reaches Kilkenny near the Lavistown Loop. Does anyone know if it's going to be hauled by a diesel loco on the way back or will it go back as is? Thanks and cheers for the info csalem, I see it's sold out! :eek:

Steam all the way! :)

The train will be steam throughout but there will be a diesel loco on hand in Kilkenny to assist with shunting. After being released from the coaches 461 is scheduled to turn on the triangle at Lavistown.

Thanks for that info snapper and garfielsghost :)

So I'll have a chance of catching both the diesel (hopefully 201, as they are rare occurrences around Kilkenny) and steam engine at the loop/triangle?

If so it'll be a good bit of footage !

Thanks for that info snapper and garfielsghost :)

So I'll have a chance of catching both the diesel (hopefully 201, as they are rare occurrences around Kilkenny) and steam engine at the loop/triangle?

If so it'll be a good bit of footage !

Make sure you stick up the video here. Lovely day for it!

Oh one final thing just to clarify, sorry for all the questions! Have I got the following right? The steam train will be arriving as far as the lavistown loop line where it will then be shunted into kilkenny via diesel, and same thing on the way back just from kilkenny to lavistown. Thanks again!

Not quite, The steam train will arrive into Kilkenny, the diesel will then attach to the coaches and shunt release 461. 461 will then proceed to turn on the triangle at Lavistown.

Alright, got you now. Thanks for explaining :)

I didn't even think a diesel would be required at first but it will make a good video. Myself and a friend recently filmed an 071 on the Lavistown Loop and it has to go really slow as it maneuvers between lines so it'll be great to get the diesel, steam and cravens together in the one day. I'm trying to make up for the loss of freight on the Waterford line as well as the recent cutting down on timber workings.

Edited by Kilkenny

Got my footage anyway, stood for about 2 hours in drizzly conditions due to a delay but the sun came out for the shots, I like the second shot here it's an 071 Class (082) Hauling the steam engine and craven coaches back to Dublin:

RPSI 461 + Cravens Passing Lavistown:

071 Hauling 461 Back To Dublin:

The 071 also stopped on the loop and I got great footage of it which will be uploaded soon :D

Well that could have gone better (on both sides of the border).

After finishing with the G.A.A. Special at Ballybrophy it was then off to Athy to photograph and chase the RPSI's Festival Express from Dublin Connolly to Kilkenny. Sadly the train was nearly two hours late by the time it reached Athy so it gave me time to explore the disused Tegral Branch in Athy. The RPSI Special was also photographed in Kilkenny and on the return leg at Cush in Co. Kildare with diesel loco 082 piloting a problematic 461. Due to further problems with 461 it was removed at Newbridge at dumped into the Bay platform at the station.

See the gallery description on smugmug for the full run down of the days events with the RPSI.

For the RPSI Festival Express click on: http://smu.gs/P7K3k0

A very bad day for the folks in the RPSI. Keep the heads up guys. Things will get better.

The Wanderer.

Well that could have gone better (on both sides of the border).

I was waiting there at the triangle for the steam engine to maneuver around the loop, attach to the coaches and haul the coaches to Dublin by itself so when I saw that the 461 was itself being hauled by 082 it was a big surprise. It was a bad day for the RPSI alright. It's strange that 082 didn't haul the 461 into Connolly, I suppose it will have to be relieved by a separate loco tomorrow.

FESTIVAL EXPRESS

The Festival Express was operating on 19th August, from Dublin to Kilkenny.

Over 300 passengers boarded at Dublin Connolly. A punctual departure was achieved, and the journey was routine until beyond Inchicore when speed fell away, and it looked like there was a problem.

This proved to be all too correct and an extended stop was required at Adamstown to raise steam. The problem was not resolved, and a further extended stop was required at Sallins loop where fire cleaning was undertaken and clinker removed. The booked water stop was taken at Kildare, but departure from there was almost two hours late (also due to poor water pressure).

Further problems arose on the approach to Kilkenny. GM 082 was on hand anyway at Kilkenny to shunt the carriages and it was decided to use it to pilot No.461 back to Dublin, and the planned turning move on the triangle at Lavistown was abandoned. In view of the very late arrival at Kilkenny a later departure time was agreed and at 17:15 a diesel loco (GM 082), with No.461 and train, departed for Dublin.

However, during a stop at Newbridge No.461 was found to have developed excessive heat in a bearing, and there was no option but to remove her from the train. The locomotive was placed in the bay platform and the train proceeded to Dublin without further incident. Eventual arrival was after 20:00.

A big apology is due to our passengers who tolerated long delays, and a much too brief visit to Kilkenny. Their understanding and tolerance of the difficulties was greatly appreciated, and it is to be hoped that they will not be put off travelling in happier circumstances with us in the future.

No.461 is to be examined as soon as possible and a course of action decided upon.