My planned layout

Rate this topic

Dempsey

So thankfully after a few months away i'll be home in a few weeks and with plenty of time to myself for construction to begin. I've spent my time researching and buying bits and pieces to begin my layout starting with the station design shown. This will be my first time building a layout to my own design and am a self-pro calmed novice as i don't count the time spent building predesigned train sets when i was younger haha.

My layout will be based on a fictional part of the north eastern rail network which will focus on freight with occasional passenger services. This is due in part to the expensive nature of passenger rolling stock.

track is peco code 75 which will be pre-wired for later introduction of DCC. 

I would appreciate your thoughts, suggests and any helpful tips you might have. 

Screenshot (33).png

• Like 2

Hi

On the grounds that traffic runs left to right on the upper line entering "stage left" would the bay platform cause Board of Trade angst as a facing point into a short bay ?

It might prove better if it was a trailing turn point off the lower running line and a trailing crossover  between the "main lines" in the second square  from stage left . - arriving trains run loco around via  "goods loop" and then shunt stock across the crossover and propel into the bay.

Agree with Glenderg on hassle of exiting storage yard but again the 1900s angs on facing points might preclude - however the short siding in the freight yard could be turned to run parallel to main line as a headshunt, and perhaps an exit from yard at stage end right.

I would also look at track spacings in sidings to allow the very little people safe access.- certainly more room required between the sidings and the loop line to allow a walking route for shunters clear of point rodding etc.      

Certainly a fun looking plan and look forward to seeing it grow.

Robert 

51 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi

On the grounds that traffic runs left to right on the upper line entering "stage left" would the bay platform cause Board of Trade angst as a facing point into a short bay ?

It might prove better if it was a trailing turn point off the lower running line and a trailing crossover  between the "main lines" in the second square  from stage left . - arriving trains run loco around via  "goods loop" and then shunt stock across the crossover and propel into the bay.

Agree with Glenderg on hassle of exiting storage yard but again the 1900s angs on facing points might preclude - however the short siding in the freight yard could be turned to run parallel to main line as a headshunt, and perhaps an exit from yard at stage end right.

I would also look at track spacings in sidings to allow the very little people safe access.- certainly more room required between the sidings and the loop line to allow a walking route for shunters clear of point rodding etc.      

Certainly a fun looking plan and look forward to seeing it grow.

Robert 

The short bay into the station is a loco park area as seen in Dundalk station where i took the track plan from. The frieght yard due to room constraints had to be re positioned to work within the available space as the one in dundalk would have pushed the weight out by many feet. I know the sidings are very tight together in the plans but that would be address during the building.

I understand where both yourself and Glenderg are coming from in terms of moving stock from the freight yard into storage or vice versa and even getting coach stock from the south bound line (The line at the bottom) into storage. Out of shot i've planned for a cross over set of points at each end of the station and in my mind the freight yard would function as the head shunt when not in use. As i plan on running a full length class 201 and passenger rack i can see from your comments i wont have enough length for that plan.

Thanks for the comments though.

Great to see crossovers planned . Look forward to it - less is more holds true  re sidings  and catching scenic details in a lifeway but rule one applies of course. 

Engine spurs work for me -can see Dundalk in that but looking at the Quail map it shows loco lines as trailing connected.

Certainly have fun and the idea of 201s hammering past or even calling will give joy I am sure , I can just dream on mine - a shunting plank ! 

Robert 

22 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Engine spurs work for me -can see Dundalk in that but looking at the Quail map it shows loco lines as trailing connected.

Had a look at Dundalk on Google Earth, the bay is exactly as the plan shown earlier, ie. a facing connection.

• 7 months later...

I've been trying in vain to find any photos for point of reference of the freight yard at Dundalk on the Ardee Rd and not the old barrack street one. If anyone has any pictures of the yard in operation and at the very least with the crane that use to be there could send them on i'd very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance

Ardee Road replaced the Barrack Street yard and was built on the formation of the route from Dundalk station westwards to Clones. I don't have any photos of the yard but did manage to video 072 shunting the yard from Dundalk platform so gives some idea of the traffic handled towards the end of the freight services. 072 arrived from Belfast and after depositing the Belfast wagons added further wagons from the sidings and yard. Shunting was complicated by the need to keep bogie wagons at the front and any bubbles at the rear of the train to facilitate dropping them off at Drogheda. The next video on flickr continues the sequence.

Ernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2019 at 6:47 PM, Irishswissernie said:

Ardee Road replaced the Barrack Street yard and was built on the formation of the route from Dundalk station westwards to Clones. I don't have any photos of the yard but did manage to video 072 shunting the yard from Dundalk platform so gives some idea of the traffic handled towards the end of the freight services. 072 arrived from Belfast and after depositing the Belfast wagons added further wagons from the sidings and yard. Shunting was complicated by the need to keep bogie wagons at the front and any bubbles at the rear of the train to facilitate dropping them off at Drogheda. The next video on flickr continues the sequence.

Ernie

Brilliant video thank you. Gave me a nice look into line side details and positioning and running mixed freight trains. I'll definitely be watching more

On 11/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, DiveController said:

thank you for the photos. I trying to find better pictures of this type of crane that was in used when my layout is planned to be set

DR03910-Dundalk-Goods-depot.jpg